Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Please clarify data usage charges

Oilman
4: Newbie
I've got a 750mb data allowance on my iPhone contract. I only had 500mb on my last contract but my old phone did not seem to be so data heavy. I used to use just over 500mb and regularly got charged and extra £5 per month for exceeding that.

It seems every month I seem to now average just over 750mb with the iPhone and get warned then charged an extra £5 each month.

Can it be clarified why when you pay £5 for the next 750/500mb of data it does not carry on to the next month when often I've only used a small amount of the extra data I've paid for?

Surely it's only fair to carry forward data you have paid for?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi nem39esis

Thank you for your post.

It’s not possible to include every charge in our terms and conditions as there are so many services that we offer, however we do provide additional information on our help and support page which can be found here.

This does state that the 500MB are added to your current monthly allowance. The billing for this is the same day as the rest of your services as we only bill you once per month.

I trust this answers your question.

Michelle

View solution in original position

50 REPLIES 50

I find this grossly unfair. If something states a price for a service I would expect to receive that service, if it stated a timelimit I would expect that that service would not work after that limit. Simply stating that it is a business decision is not acceptable. Not only does it prevent anyone from understanding what they might pay but it also makes the terms and conditions unfair and misleading. I for one feel I have been misled. You cannot impose a timelimit on something without stating it clearly in your terms and conditions, it forms the basis of my contract with you.

I will be contacting the OFT and the communications obudsman, I feel I have been misled and that your still misleading customers.

No reply from vodafone on this is see?

I for one want my charges returned, ive paid for data i havent recieved or used.

One of your administrators closed my post stating it was solved. It is far from solved and i see the only reason this was done is because it was getting so much attention and interest.

Please re open the post with the same name so that peope can reply. As stated, this has not been solved and i find it offensive that vodafone choose to prevent further replies to posts simply because they cannot be bothered to display answers to queries  :smileymad:

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
I would say the following implies that the additional data usage is in addition to your monthly allowance, and thus falls under the same rules, as it is a monthly allowance and you are paying to bolt another 250/500/2000mb onto the original plan that has been exceeded.

Taken from the Price Plan terms and conditions document.

UK data usage (Where your price plan includes a monthly data allowance)
Data usage (above your monthly allowance) £5 per 250MB
Optional data packs
Standard data pack (includes 100 picture messages) £5 per 500MB
Premium data pack £15 per 2GB

kids

grolschuk wrote:
I would say the following implies that the additional data usage is in addition to your monthly allowance, and thus falls under the same rules, as it is a monthly allowance and you are paying to bolt another 250/500/2000mb onto the original plan that has been exceeded.

Taken from the Price Plan terms and conditions document.

UK data usage (Where your price plan includes a monthly data allowance)
Data usage (above your monthly allowance) £5 per 250MB
Optional data packs
Standard data pack (includes 100 picture messages) £5 per 500MB
Premium data pack £15 per 2GB

I fully agree with you, it is blatantly obvious that all references to additional data refer to consumption on a monthly basis.

Regrettably there will always been people who just because the  answer does not fit  their agenda  will refuse to accept the explanation.

Thanks Michelle for your call.

Kids- my "agenda" as you word it is simply for clarification, its disspointing that you cannot see this. Terms and conditions should be clear.

kids

nem39esis wrote:

Thanks Michelle for your call.

Kids- my "agenda" as you word it is simply for clarification, its disspointing that you cannot see this. Terms and conditions should be clear.

I guess we have to agree to differ in how we read the T&Cs then.

I read it as referring to an add-on / extra to the monthly allowance in the plan. Vodafone make it clear that that do not rollover unused portions of allowances /packages from month to month so my logic tells me that the policy of non-rollover applies to all packages whether contractural or add-ons /extra packs.

As many have complained previously, its not a bolt on or add on, its not advertised as such, its more equivelant to a pay as you go top up, the only difference is the credit you ad expires at an undisclosed date.

The point is it doesnt form part of your contract yet it it is charged if you exceed your allowance. However there is not information pertaining to it being monthly or not. If its attached to your monthly billing cycle it would have to be part of an individuals contract as everyones dates are different.

Vodafone's data charges are absolutely scandalous...... I upgraded my iPhone 4 to a 4S and my data limit on similar price plan was halved to 500 MB. An absolute joke with a smartphone. You may as well have it in flight mode or turned off. And the real kick in the teeth is the lame 'test drive' we get for 3 months where we can use as much data 'as we like'. With some providers you can do this anyway for the entire contract which isn't unreasonable at all given the monthly contract charges. Plus there is zero transparency over the data charges VF make......if you use 450MB in a month & VF claim its 550MB you have no way of disputing this & get forced to pay the extra. Would love to know how many customers use less than 500MB a month on average........I expect the percentage is pretty low. I really hope customers jump ship to other providers like I will be doing in future.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi scorpio2011

Thank you for your post and I am sorry you feel this way.

Although I am unable to comment on other providers often offers such as unlimited data and browsing in the small print have an allowance mentioned or you are cut off when you have reached the allowance and unable to use this again until your plan is refreshed monthly.

The majority of our customers stay within the allowances and the Data Test Drive is to help understand your level of usage, if you are a higher user we would then advise you around our additinal packages.

We are able to see how much data you have used and when, we are unable to view what the data was used for however 

If you have any queries I can assist you with please do not hesitate to post.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team