Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor information from retention team on leaving Vodafone

JustPassing
4: Newbie

Hi

Having moved to a house that struggles to get even 2G on Vodafone, and having a Nexus 5X that supports Wi-Fi calling on EE, and EE also happens to provide a good 3G signal at home where Vodafone doesn't (tested with a PAYG sim), I rang for my PAC, I've been with Vodafone for 8 years.

Two bits of information told to me.  One, that after a year or so the contacts on the SIM card corrode and that is why I was struggling to get a good signal, despite the checker showing only 2G coverage, and the phone working perfectly in other areas.  This is rubbish, it wouldn't cause me to get bad reception in one particular area, and friends that have visited who are on Vodafone have seen their signal drop out the same as mine!  I was assured though that a new SIM card would solve my reception issues, and they would also send a free SureSignal.  Of course the SureSignal would resolve the reception problems.

The second was being told Wi-Fi calling wasn't network specific, and I had a Wi-Fi calling phone and it would work with Vodafone on Wi-Fi for calls. This is incorrect as Vodafone do not support the 5X (or 6P) for Wi-Fi calling.  I explained this to the agent but they insisted it would work, so I asked "how do I get it working?" and was told the store would show me.

I was then offered some deals to reduce the plan cost by a little, but I am still leaving.  Whist the SureSignal would resolve the reception issues, they are very unrelable and seem prone to overheating and going pop, plus it's just another thing plugged in, whereas if I can just use Wi-Fi that is already in and fully operational, that is of course easier, plus anywhere else I go with Wi-Fi and a poor signal I can benefit as well.

I feel though that this mis-information could have some customers committing to another 12 months contract only to find it is incorrect, then they have the struggle of trying to get out of the contract.

I just wanted to feed back this information to Vodafone, as they already have issues with their customer service and the quality of it, and staff need training in order to provide accurate information and not mislead their customers.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Good feedback. 

Your right thst calling over wifi wouldn't work on your make and model of phone as indicated Vodafone Calling over wifi. Which they have access to 

A sim swap is a good process of elimination if issues exist when testing out the SIM card although I agree if it works as it should elsewhere then the sim is in my opinion too working as it should. 

May I offer up the following advice. 

Please consider not cancelling the Direct Debit until Vodafone have taken any final payment(s) and if applicable applied any Refunds. And you have received the final bill by post, paid by Direct Debit and a £0 bill and Sorry Your Leaving Letter has been received that confirms the account is closed. (Please retain this paperwork)

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply and info regarding the DD.  

I've been a Vodafone customer for a good number of years, and my post isn't a case of rubbishing their coverage.  I'm in a bit of fringe area where EE seems to be the best at coverage and of course gets me Wi-Fi calling, I've been in other areas on holiday/visiting friends and been on a full signal with Vodafone where other networks have been lacking, just the way it goes.

It just seems Vodafone is lacking these days when it comes to new technology, with few devices supporting Wi-Fi calling and falling behind with 4G calling as well it seems.

I'm happy with my Nexus 5X so getting another phone just to support Wi-Fi calling on Vodafone is a very expensive option, and the SureSignal route just seems a bit of a hack given the introduction of Wi-Fi calling and doesn't seem prone to being reliable, plus I'm the only one in the family on Vodafone so it doesn't benefit anyone else here having a SureSignal.

Perhaps in a year I will come back.

The main issue is the quality of information given by Vodafone representatives, it does the company no favours, but they are responsible with training and monitoring of staff so need to get on top of it.

You're welcome. 

Calling over Wifi is still in its infancy with Vodafone so it's my thoughts that's why they have a limited number of accepted handsets at this time. Just my private opinion. 

The information is readily available so I'm at a loss why they'd advise about your phone and current compatibility. I've not seen any supporting information in the link or Vodafones Blog to show it would work. 

This Experience will be fed back I'm sure as everyone needs to be 'singing from the same hymn sheet' so people can make an informed decision. 

Remember if you want to take your mobile number to another Network you'll need to ask Vodafone for a PAC Code. Use that within 30 days or it'll time out.  When the other Network uses the PAC code that will end your current contract with Vodafone. 

If a phone is locked to Vodafone then as long as criteria is met it can be unlocked free to use on any Network. 

Unlocking.

Sorry to hear your switching but do take care. 

Current Phone  >

hrym

As Lee says, SIMs can fail and a replacement is always an early (if not necessarily the first) port of call for some issues.   I've never heard of corroding contacts, though, and I thought they were gold plated for that reason.   It can be worth cleaning them, but usually only before first insertion.

BandOfBrothers

I've not really come across corrosion either @hrym apart from water damage or wear and tear caused by ejecting the sim card numerous times for whatever reason. 

Current Phone  >