Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using own VDSL2 router with VF Broadband

peggleg
3: Seeker

Cant find a lot of details about this, but was wondering if VF now allows the use of your own router with their Fibre Broadband offer? I have been on chat and in store in Bluewater and both confirmed I can, but I dont want to sign a new contract if this is not 100% possible. I have read on the forums that VF does not allow it. So I am in two minds about moving across. I currently use a NetGear D7000 with my BT Infinity 2 and would like to continue using the NetGear ANy help will be much appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

I know it's frustrating, but I can also see why they do it - having only one type of modem/router simplifies support and makes setup easy for the user.  The Vodafone router also has specific features that work with the associated app (which I realise not everyone needs).

There have been a lot of queries about using other hardware, so it's possible that something may come along.  Make sure before you sign up if it's important to you, though.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

BandOfBrothers

Hi

I believe with Vodafone Broadband you have to use Vodafones own Router. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

This is a similar thread asking. 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Data-on-the-go/Vodafone-wont-allow-use-of-personal-routers-on-their-B...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks,

This is what I cannot handle with providers.....

They will do anything to get you to sign up. Guess I am staying with BT then (or at least for the time being)

hrym

I know it's frustrating, but I can also see why they do it - having only one type of modem/router simplifies support and makes setup easy for the user.  The Vodafone router also has specific features that work with the associated app (which I realise not everyone needs).

There have been a lot of queries about using other hardware, so it's possible that something may come along.  Make sure before you sign up if it's important to you, though.

Quote : I know it's frustrating, but I can also see why they do it

If this was a valid reason, all other ADSL/VDSL provider would have it. Guess what? They don't....

peggleg
I see your point but many other ISPs states you can use your own router but they will not support it if your connection doesn't work.

Most people that use their own router is tech savvy so can troubleshoot issues or connect the ISP router for ISP support

hrym

I wouldn't disagree with that, but remember that this is a new product and I'm sure it'll develop/mature as time goes on.

Maybe....

But a well known provider like VF should think about these things before launching a product that doesnt support a client using their own equipment.

I had similar chat today with vodafone and they seem to be a bit confused as well.

Actually the guy from the chat told me that its in their t&cs that we cannot use any other router than vodafones. This is not true. see section 6.12 from vodafone broadband t&cs

"You agree only to connect equipment to our network which bears the European Consumer Equipment Standards “CE” mark, and agree not to connect any equipment which may harm our network or any of our other customers."

When i've told him that, he replied back that here they are talking about phone lines..seriously?????