Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Connect Router VPN

Lemaru
4: Newbie

Has anyone been able to set up a VPN server and successfully connect through the Vodafone supplied router?

The VPN server built into the router does not work, and even on the times it does connect everything times out or doesn't load at all. II have also tried to connect to the VPN hosted on my PC. This used to work fine on my homehub but doesn't even connect on using the Connect router. I have opened port 1723 but there is no option to enable GRE/VPN pass through.

Having had nothing but issues since day one, all of which could be resolved by being able to use our own router (which it doesn't say we cannot do in the T&Cs yet support won't give out the details). Most other providers allow for us to do this so appears Vodafone are somewhat behind the competition with their support.

Anyone with any tips or advice is much appreciated as I am already seriously regretting taking this service on and which I stayed with my old ISP

16 REPLIES 16

Martyn502

Hi.  Have you tried opening port 47 and forwarding it to your VPN host?

Lemaru
The problem there is that port 47 is neither TCP nor UDP and is in fact GRE so there is no way to forward it. That's what the VPN Pass through or enable GRE on most other routers is for.

This Vodafone router really is shockingly rubbish

IP port 47 is use for GRE, yes.  But, if you open TCP/UDP 47 and forward to your VPN authentication service the majority of domestic routers will simply forward the packet(s).

Bear in mind that 1723/47 combination is only for PPTP VPNs where as L2TP VPNs require 1701/47.

Have you verified the type of VON you are trying to connect to?

Lemaru
I am trying to connect to my own VPN on my home network from an external source. It's PPTP and well aware of the ports required differ depending on the setup. It's just so frustrating that all this that was working on a rubbish HomeHub 3 doesn't work on this pos.

Also L2TP, although I am not using it, does not use GRE (47). It uses UDP 500, 1701 and 4500

GRE is a protocol and not a port

Whilst I stand corrwected on the 500 for L2TP, GRE is merely an encapsulation rathe than a protocol.

We can sit and argue all month long but surely it would be easier simply to TRY what I have suggested?

I know that it worked for me through successive netgear routers when I was with Sky for my ISP...

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

I'm going to say that amongst the other limitations of this router - and i don't quite know why it's so locked down - the GRE passthrough is the one thing it does well for the use of a suresignal... as it is that feature that is or is not present on many other vpn aware routers that c0cks up the suresignal connection.

It's a fairly new service so i hope things will get better with the next firmware update, but if VF want to play in the big boys ISP market, they really need to allow people to do what they want to do, rather than think what is best for them,

Seemingly these providers are being coaxed into this so many of these poxy routers are about control meanig making it as difficult as possible for folk to be secure. They decide whats good for you , what a joke how long will it be before some crew decide enough is enough. Talk Talk are the same and look what happend there basically the only option is to throw away the crappy routers and pay out more cash to enable some kind of reasonable security. Unless big brother starts to take a dislike then your end point will smashed. I ask what is wrong with wanting to be secure on line , nothing , thats what. 

Lemaru
Well, as expected, opening port 47 still doesn't sort the issue

Other Vodafone locations give the credentials to use your own hardware. Why VF UK don't is poor.

Any VF staff willing to help? Or will they remain ever elusive

@Lemaru

I've sent you a PM containing contact details for us.

If you get in touch, we'll be able to look into this for you.