cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K3565 Dongle - I'm Not Getting A Consistent Signal In BN5 9NX Postcode Area

horseman
4: Newbie
I use a K3565 (E160X) circa 2008/9 model on a payg service while I'm regularly camping in BN5 9XZ
Admittedly the area is on 2G fringe but once a network is located I get between a 2by5 and 3/5 signal on GPRS.

I've used this dongle on both Macbook 10.4.11 using past VMB versions and currently on 3.04.11(12343) running on MacbookPro and SnowLeopard 10.6.3.

In both scenarios I notice that whilst Dialling inavriably completes the TCPIP setup stalls at about the point where I suspect the VF dhcp server is issuing an IP. In fact if I use an OpenDNS server explicitly set in the VF profile this seems to work far more often and for a longer duration.

This prompts two obvious questions:

1. Having perused the cell maps I can't accurately locate my nearest cell? (Thinking of using a parabolic directional antenna and amp so accurate OS GRID ref needed to work out bearing...)

2. Is there a possibility that the local cell has some congestion issues and/or PAYG service is de-prioritised during periods of heavy utilisation?

I should add that both Macbooks obtain a 3G signal and retain connectivity at home with no difficulty.

Thanks for any hints/tips/comments...
Rgds Tony
Rgds Tony
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur et si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"
3 REPLIES 3

horseman
Fascinating - I'm not sure what VF script automaton or moderator changed the subject title but that's not what I wrote!!! ?
1. I'd be satisfied with a consistent 2G/GPRS signal - 3G is probably not feasable due to topology/population density.
2. I wonder if BN5 9NX is mapped from my local cell? Because according to RoyalMail postcode checker that's not quite where I'm located! If so quite smart....or misleadingly dumb?
Rgds Tony
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur et si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi TonyW,

Shame to read of the problems you're stated :(

Have you tried the signal outside of your building? Any difference?

In terms of your questions:

1) Your local cell (in fact only local cell) is the one located by Henfield, off Stonepit lane. Our coverage tool shows very poor coverage sadly, and this fits with the topography of your area combined with the lone mast.

2) More than likely, congestion. Being the only mast in the area you're not going to get great coverage, and at the distance you are away from it, this also counts negatively against your reception I'm afraid. We don't operate a priority-based connection service (some countries do), so it's likely everyone suffers this in your area. I've requested coverage improvement on your behalf, but cannot provide a timescale.

Ultimately, in conclusion there is nothing wrong or at fault here - it's just an area of poor coverage I'm afraid :(

Let us know if we can help in any further way,

Daz

eForum Team

horseman

Hi TonyW,

Shame to read of the problems you're stated :(

Have you tried the signal outside of your building? Any difference?

In terms of your questions:

1) Your local cell (in fact only local cell) is the one located by Henfield, off Stonepit lane. Our coverage tool shows very poor coverage sadly, and this fits with the topography of your area combined with the lone mast.

2) More than likely, congestion. Being the only mast in the area you're not going to get great coverage, and at the distance you are away from it, this also counts negatively against your reception I'm afraid. We don't operate a priority-based connection service (some countries do), so it's likely everyone suffers this in your area. I've requested coverage improvement on your behalf, but cannot provide a timescale.

Ultimately, in conclusion there is nothing wrong or at fault here - it's just an area of poor coverage I'm afraid :(

Let us know if we can help in any further way,

Daz

eForum Team

Appreciate the info - most helpful - External to building (or caravan or tent) makes no significant difference..... However now you've confirmed the cell location I suspect a directional parabolic antenna + amp on 3m mast ontop of van may should give me a minimum 9dB gain.....

Thanks again for your assistance and escalation request for improved coverage (Orange,O2 and T-Mobile all seem to have better signals from more local cells).
Rgds Tony