cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Protect - Uninstall Greyed out.

Villordsutch
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I am attempting to uninstall Voadfone Protect from my Samsung S4 mini. I have gone online and deleted my account as advised, then I reset my phone and yet still the Uninstall option is still greyed out in the settings. I no longer want this piece of software occupying space on my phone and was quite frustrated to discover this McAfee piece of junk - that was passed over to us - had premium features that we could purchase once installed. If anyone anyone can advise me how to remove the software that will be fantastic? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I've resolved the issue.

The uninstall stays greyed out until you 

- Clear Cache

- Uncheck "Show Notifications"

It's at that point the Uninstall and Force Stop become highlighted.  

N.B.  I have already deleted my account (completed this a couple of days ago) at Vodafone Protect before these steps.

I have now uninstalled and reset my device.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
Hi

I'm wondering if a soft reset has not helped then if you back up your saved data and then perform a hard reset that this may remove old files.

Hard Reset Procedure.

force reset Reset the device (press and hold POWER button for 8-10 seconds)

Unlock Galaxy S3 mini using hard reset

sgs3 mini hard reset or reset Galaxy S3 mini: PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME UP + Home Button + Power

Turn the phone off.
Press and hold VOLUME UP and Home(center) button
Press Power until the phone vibrate
Wait until you see the Android logo then release all the buttons.
Select Wipe data/Factory reset with VOLUME DOWN, press Power (right hand-side)
Select YES -- delete all user data with VOLUME DOWN and then press Power
After format, press Power again to reboot phone. (select reboot system now)

or

If your device is frozen and unresponsive, press and hold Samsung Galaxy S3 hard reset for 8-10 seconds. The device will reboot automatically.
If this does not solve the problem, perform a factory data reset. In Idle mode, open the application list and select
Settings → Back up and reset→ Factory data reset → Reset device→ Delete all.

or Factory format entering sgs3 mini format code

Use this method to hard reset your Samsung Galaxy S III mini: Enter *2767*3855#. Warning! All your data including contacts, messages etc. will be lost! Copy all your necessary data/Contacts/Messages etc. to SIM or make backup to your PC before full reset! Take out SIM card before full reset.

Note: If you reset your device to the factory defaults with SD card encryption setting enabled, the device will not be able to read your encrypted files. Disable this setting before resetting the device.

sgs3 firmware flash download mode: PRESS AND HOLD VOLUME down + Home Button + Power on

EDIT : I've just seen this on another forum but am not sure if that's correct.

"Hi

The Protect app comes bundled with your device, so unfortunately there is no way to remove it apart from rooting the device, which will void your warranty. "

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

hrym

Failing an uninstall, is there the option to disable it in Settings|Apps?  That woult at least get it out of the way.

Was it pre-installed? - some software like that can't be uninstalled and you'd be wasting your time trying, sadly.

The Protect was just offered last night and I've had my S4 mini for a year plus now.

I've been to the Settings|Apps and this is the area where it's greyed out unfortuantly :Sad_face:

As for wiping my phone I really want this to be a last resort to removing an App and if I have to wipe my phone to remove a Vodafone Buy-for-Premium app I'll be sending an email of Complaint to Vodafone and also to whatever Governing Body which will listen!

I already have a Phone tracking/lock/wiping piece of software which isn't McAfee and isn't Buy-for-Premium.

hrym

It's odd, and I'm not sure whether a non-pre-installed app can do that.   It's more likely to be something to do with the setup.  Did you try the disable option?   Also (and apologies if you've already done this), have you tried doing Clear Data from the applications manager?  That may free it up.

I've resolved the issue.

The uninstall stays greyed out until you 

- Clear Cache

- Uncheck "Show Notifications"

It's at that point the Uninstall and Force Stop become highlighted.  

N.B.  I have already deleted my account (completed this a couple of days ago) at Vodafone Protect before these steps.

I have now uninstalled and reset my device.

Good to hear he situation is now resolved.

And thank you for posting your solution which I'm sure will help others searching for a similar solution.

😎

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.