cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal - Is It Compatible With PPPoE Connections?

s4vva
4: Newbie
After a long time testing and reconfiguring several makes of routers I have come the conclusion that the Sure Signal is not compatible with PPPoE connections.

If anyone does have it working please post the details here (router manufacturer, ISP etc.) I would love someone to prove me wrong!

@Vodafone - Are there any plans for a firmware/device upgrade that does support PPPoE?
74 REPLIES 74

s4vva
So I guess the answer here is no then? Has nobody got it working with a router that has a PPPoE connection?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there s4wa,

I'm afriad that SureSignal is not compatible with PPPoE. Have you considered PPPoA as an alternative?

I'm afraid we're not privvy to any planned firmware upgrades either so I can't give you a definitive answer on this one.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

thermionic
Not applicable

After a long time testing and reconfiguring several makes of routers I have come the conclusion that the Sure Signal is not compatible with PPPoE connections.

From my limited experience of the VSS, but externsive business networking experience, and from reading a _lot_ of posts on here, I'd take a guess one of the following might cover your situation

1/ The routers that you have tried are not UPnP compatible with the UPnP on the VSS
2/ The manual protocol and port settings you have tried are not correct
3/ The VSS that you have is faulty

I'd be very surprised if having a PPPoE connection between the VSS and the Internet would affect its capability to connect. You might however have to modify your local LAN MTU and other Ethernet settings.

s4vva

From my limited experience of the VSS, but externsive business networking experience, and from reading a _lot_ of posts on here, I'd take a guess one of the following might cover your situation

1/ The routers that you have tried are not UPnP compatible with the UPnP on the VSS
2/ The manual protocol and port settings you have tried are not correct
3/ The VSS that you have is faulty

I'd be very surprised if having a PPPoE connection between the VSS and the Internet would affect its capability to connect. You might however have to modify your local LAN MTU and other Ethernet settings.

1/ I have used the same router on a PPPoA and PPPoE connection, A works E doesn't.
2/ Same settings when tested. My job is to setup networks so I know how to port forward and how UPnP works. Also I have tested it with several routers (Draytek, Linksys, Netgear).
3/ VSS works on all the PPPoA networks I have tested it on.

I can't do much about the MTU settings as PPPoE is 1492 Max. It looks like the VSS needs 1500.

Like I said I would love someone here to say they have theirs working on a PPPoE connection and prove me wrong (and let me know how they got it working!). But as yet I have not seen evidence to prove it's possible.

I have had the VSS working on PPPoE connections with no problems, even into Talk Talk.

It is packet fragmentation at my firewall that causes problems with data in my experience, although calls work, data doesn't.

I have made a PPPoE connection using an Apple Airport Extreme N base station and m0n0wall, both over LLC and VC-Mux based ISPs with no issues other than with my firewall,

Regards

Mark

smudge04

Does Sure Signal work on any router?
Yes, Sure Signal works on all routers, some routers might need some specific configuration.

:unsure:
Iain

s4vva
Hi, my connection is PPPoE so you may be ok. Have you tried using a router straight to the VSS on the PPPoA connection?

UKenGB
I can't believe Vodafone is handing out such false information. The SS is an ethernet device and whether your BroadBand connects over PPPoA or PPPoE is irrelevant - the SS cannot know what is used to connect to the Internet.

There are instances of some hardware devices preventing the SS from working, but it has nothing to do with the PPP used by the 'modem'.

davidg_wilson
Hi s4vva.
We've been conversing on another thread, and I support you view on this.

In theory it should make no difference (as UKenGB states), but I have now tested my VSS on a router connected via PPPoE to a modem (which I presume connects via PPPoA to the ISP), and via Ethernet to another router that is connecting direct with PPPoA.

If you put PPPoE in the way, then it does not work. I do have the MTU at 1492 for the Ethernet connect and it still works. - so not sure it is just MTU (although the PPPoA connect to the ISP is 1500). But I agree with UKenGB - it is illogical to suggest that the connection protocol should interfere with the VSS which is a backend ethernet device.

The only way I can get it to work with PPPoE is to first establish a connection with the PPPoA setup, then unplug the PPPoA router and insert the modem and restart it. The rooter reboots and the VSS seems to drop back and renegotiate the connection but bizarrely it comes back up in about 3 minutes (as opposed to 20 minutes or so for a normal VSS restart).

VODAFONE - CAN YOU COMMENT HERE? It's all very well you saying it works for most people, but there's a significant minority of people who cannot get this to work properly and we deserve better service for something we are paying for. We've done a lot of the problem determination, we'll even LEND you the equipment so you can prove it to yourselves so you can FIX it for your customers. Do I need to write to your CEO?