cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Sure Signal - Is It Compatible With PPPoE Connections?

s4vva
4: Newbie
After a long time testing and reconfiguring several makes of routers I have come the conclusion that the Sure Signal is not compatible with PPPoE connections.

If anyone does have it working please post the details here (router manufacturer, ISP etc.) I would love someone to prove me wrong!

@Vodafone - Are there any plans for a firmware/device upgrade that does support PPPoE?
74 REPLIES 74

Hi guys, can I throw another strange occurance into the pot. I was operating two Sure Signals, usng a BT Home Hub 3 ( which is pppoe) and they were both working perfectly for 6 months ( with no ports mapped, straight out of the box )

I then swapped from BT Residential to BT Business ( in order to g a fixed IP address for my mail server ) I DID NOT change the router or any other hardware at my end, I simply entered my new BT Business username and password into my existing router config and both SS stopped working simultaneously !  Nothing I have tried since ( including mapping the ports, de-registering and re-registering the SS, Factory resetting etc etc ) will get them to work - any thoughts ?

Huw

I read with dispair this thread and the trouble people have had trying to get VSS to work with PPPoE. Before seeing this thread I had purchased a VSS and could not get it to work either. My ISP provided the OpenReach HG612 modem and a Zyxel NBG4604 Router.

My contribution to this thread is that I purchased a Router from Ebuyer for £16.00, a TP-Link TL-R460, which I just plugged in, set up log in etc. and it works.

Hope this helps.

Regards

I should make clear the TP-Link replaced the Ztxel unit

Does anyone know if the latest suresignal (V2) can now connect to PPoE without any problems? I'm with Talktalk LLU and its currently working fine on my combined modem/router (Billion 7800N) but i want to replace this with Draytek 120 ADSL2+ modem + Linksys EA4500 router so obviously will connect via PPoE through the Linksys. However will be spending close to 200 pounds on this new set-up so if its unlikely to work then don't want to waste my money. Thanks! :Smiling:

Hi psychopomp1,

To be honest the Sure Signal does require PPPoA to work and as such you will need to use this connection.

However on most occasions the initial modem (DrayTeck) will use PPPoA and then the Linksys uses PPPoE so as long as you can connect the Sure Signal to the DrayTek then it should work however; we can’t guarantee specific routers and their setups.

James

If you have any comments regarding how I have handled your query today, please complete our short feedback survey.

Thanks James but leaving the VSS connected permanently to the Draytek modem is not an option as it only has 1 ethernet port. However reading some of the earlier posts: [quote]The only way I can get it to work with PPPoE is to first establish a connection with the PPPoA setup, then unplug the PPPoA router and insert the modem and restart it. The rooter reboots and the VSS seems to drop back and renegotiate the connection but bizarrely it comes back up in about 3 minutes (as opposed to 20 minutes or so for a normal VSS restart).[/quote] [quote]The trick is (as someone has already written) to power on the VSS when there is an adsl connection and then switch over to PPPoE, I suspect that this issue is a Setup negotiation process issue, so once a VSS link has become established, they will continue to work over PPPoE until the power is disturbed or because of some other interuption, perhaps server down at Vodafone HQ. Anyway, these are my findings, but nothing more. Hope this helps![/quote] It appears it IS possible to get a connection. Could someone clarify this? If you have PPoA Modem > PPoE router > VSS setup does this mean: 1) Plug VSS into modem's ethernet port and let it establish connection via PPoA 2) Disconnect VSS from modem and plug into ethernet port on router, connect modem to router & switch on router. But in this case surely the VSS will lose sync as soon as its disconnected from the modem? (Draytek Vigor 120 modem only has 1 ethernet port). Please help, i'm confused!

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi psychopomp1

Thank you for your post.:smileyhappy:

You can certainly try the method you have mentioned, however the Sure Signal is designed to work over PPoA and we are unable to support PPoE.

If there was ever an issue with your device the first thing we need would be to establish a PPoA connection for any troubleshooting.

Many Thanks

DaveCD

eForum Team

Ok an update. The Sure Signal works fine via PPPoE on my Linksys EA4500 router. If it helps i'm on a Talktalk ADSL2+ line (LLU).

Evening all,

A bit late to the party on this (by about 16 months by the look of things) but recently ran into this exact problem - namely a PPPoE router (Asus RT N16 running Tomato firmware) and a Draytek Vigor 120 modem not playing nicely with my VSS 3. I seem to have had more luck than most in that I could get a working SS connection, but it was somewhat unstable, dropping twice in two days (and the second time going to a flashing red power light and a solitary amber internet light. Not happy, required a full reset and re-synch). Enough, I thought, there must be a way around this. My solution was the following:

1) Ditch the Draytek.
2) Find an old PPPoA modem router box (if you don't have one you can get a TP-Link one online for about £15). Note it will need to be one that has more than one LAN port and ideally supports a DMZ.
3) Set that router to connect to the internet using its modem in PPPoA mode (as if you were setting it up from scratch frankly) but ensure it is on the 172.16.0.0 network on the LAN side (i.e. give it an ip address of 172.16.0.1). Make sure the connection MTU is 1500.
4) Give the VSS a static IP of 172.16.0.2 and make it the DMZ host. (You do this on the modem router.  Note also this is simply me being lazy and effectivley opening all ports on the router to the VSS with the exception of any mentioned in point 9 below.  Saves me having to go through the list of required ports as they are all already open and pointing at the VSS.)
5) Plug your VSS into one of the LAN port on the modem router.
6) If your existing router (the one you were originally using with the Draytek 120) was already using the 172.16.0.0 network then change it to the 192.168.1.0 network. If you need to do this then make sure you also update the DHCP server to now serve IP addresses on the 192.168.1.0 network.
7) Plug your existing router's WAN port into one of the modem router's LAN ports. Make a note of its mac address on the WAN side beforehand if you can. Change this router's WAN interface to accept a DHCP address.
😎 On the modem router give your existing router a static IP address of 172.16.0.3. (This is why you needed to MAC address)
9) Make a note of any ports you were forwarding on your original router, and forward them on the new modem router box - BUT MAKE THEIR TARGET 172.16.0.3 - i.e. your original router's WAN interface.
10) Plug all of your existing kit back into your original router
11) That's it!

So what you end up with is a PPPoA device connecting to your ISP with an MTU of 1500 which you are plugging your VSS and your existing router into. This solves the VSS connection issue, and allows you to keep your existing PPPoE router you love so much.
In terms of the network, all the of traffic on your inner 192 network (i.e. second router) can happily connect to the outside as it simply pushes any traffic not on the 192 subnet up the WAN port, and because your two routers are on different (and not intersecting networks) you won't have any collisions.
Finally, any forwarded ports, because they are now "double" forwarded, will work as before - just with an extra hop. It all works flawlessly for me and I now have a working VSS, get to keep my beloved old router, can configure everything like I used to before from the WAN side - and have the added benefit of a proper DMZ that I could plug a wifi access point into (i.e. plug it directly into the modem router) to act as a guest wifi host if I chose to.  All for an extra spend of £15. Or £0 in my case as I already had an old PPPoA modem router hanging about.

Oh, and really, everything does work. Firstly, it works because it should (no router collisions due to the separate networks), and secondly I tested it over a number of weeks; I have successfully made and received skype video calls, facetime calls, connected to my VPN at work etc.. from within my inner 192 network. No issues.  And my SS has not dropped once.

I appreciate that it's not a solution for all as it does involve using a second modem-router box. But it got my network working, and hopefully it may be useful to other people.

Dave

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi DonkeyDave

Thanks for your detailed post, hopefully this will help other users too :Laughing_Face:

Sukhi