Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone personalize system update HTC One M8

sbaker106
4: Newbie
Has anyone else received this system update notification recently?

It doesn't say what is included etc. and I don't really want the have a load of apps on my phone that will never get used. I have a SIM free M8 and don't want it to be plastered with Vodafone logos etc either.

Can anyone tell me what the update is.

Cheers

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nabs
17: Community Champion

@sbaker106We've had confirmation that this update is indeed from Vodafone. The update apparently installs Vodafone's own Vodafone Updates application which is a portal to the various other applications Vodafone offer. It's supposed to allow you to beneift from Vodafone's services you may not currently be using (HINT: Have a look in the Play Store at what Vodafone offer, it's much less hassle than a system update and probably safer).

I personally benefit just fine from Vodafone's services without installing the Vodafone Updates application, I get all the apps I want to use from the Play Store and have never had a need to install another application store on my phone. It's entirely up to as to whether you install it or not. If you dismiss the update it should go away for good though apparently so you'll only have one shot to make the decision.  

View solution in original position

17 REPLIES 17

sbaker106

This is the update message...

hrym

That's odd.   If your phone is unbranded already, you shouldn't be getting Vodafone updates. If you are, that implies it is and you therefore already have a lot of their firmware and apps.  If your phone is unbranded, you'll get updates from HTC, not Vodafone.

I had a small update for an unbranded M8 recently which was mainly a fix for the Stagefright bug and didn't add any Vodafone files.

Frankly, I wouldn't touch this at least until you've confirmed it's genuine.   That "Z" in personalize makes me a tad suspicious.  If your phone is unbranded, it makes it sound even more dodgy.

sbaker106
I got the stage fright update recently as well, but was really suprised at this saying it was from Vodafone. Not going to install it at all until I know what it is.

The only Vodafone app I have on the phone is My Vodafone and I installed that myself from the Play store.

Nabs

@sbaker106 Where did you buy the phone?

hrym

Yes.   Steer well clear until we can get clarification.  If it is malicious, you need to check yoru phone carefully.  There may be malware, or it could come via an infected app (my daughter recently found an advert on a reputable app auto-dialling an overseas number).

sbaker106
Phone was purchased in-store from Carphone Warehouse. When purchasing I did ask to check that the phone was unlocked etc, to which the reply was that all phones they sell are unlocked as they aren't tied to selling specific networks.

Nabs

Hi @sbaker106

Thanks for that info. Having an unlocked phone is different to having an unbranded one. Having your phone unlocked means you can put any networks SIM in and it will work just fine, having an unbranded device means your software is the open market (often international) version.

We can check this though; If you you go into Settings -> About -> Software Intormation  and int here you shoudl see a Software number field... Can you let us know what that says?

Details below:

Andriod version: 5.0.1

HTC Sense version: 6.0

Software number:: 4.16.401.13

HTC SDK API Level: Unknown

Nabs

That's an Unbranded version number so Vodafone should have absolutely nothing to do with you phone's software. This would pretty much confirm that your phone is infected with soem kind of dodgy app. Would be worth having a look through any apps that you have recently added, specifically ones that have access to the READ_PHONE_STATE permission.

EDIT: Ignore that, it seems that other on the internet have experienced similar issue. There is an application installed on the HTC called "Personalize". From what I can work out this forms part of the core HTC Sense system that sits on top of Anrdoid and has control over just about every aspect of the phone. Installing it is very risky, I personally wouldn't but it's up to you @sbaker106

One quick thing to try would be to power off the device and remove your Vodafone SIM card. Once removed power the phone on again and check for any updates (Settings->About->Software Updates). What what others have suggested you shouldn't see this update anymore. This indicated that the update is somehow linked to your Vodafone SIM card.

I've raised this one with Vodafone to hopefully get an official answer.