Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling on Galaxy Note 7?

fareynuff
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Does the new Samsung Galaxy Note 7 support Vodafone wifi calling in the same way the other recent Galaxy models (S6, S7) do?

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

Retired-LouiseE
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello @fareynuff

I have looked into this for you. 

Due to Samsung's recall of the Note 7 the Wifi-calling feature is not fully activate at the moment.

Due to the recall we are asking all customers to contact Samsung, please see the following Official Announcement for ways to contact them. 

Louise

Thanks @Louise_E

I have been trying to activate wifi calling since before the recall was announced by Samsung and do not see how the two things are in any way related. Are you suggesting that Vodafone or Samsung disabled one (software) function of the device pre-release as a result of a battery (hardware) related issue that only came to light AFTER the product was sent to customers? That clearly doesn't add up and sounds like the recall is just being used as an excuse to mask another problem, wouldn't you agree?

I have already contacted Samsung as advised in the recall notice (not that I should have to solve this directly with them as I purchased this device from Vodafone not Samsung, but that's a separate topic being discussed elsewhere on this forum). Hopefully they will arrange a speedy replacement for me although when I first called them last week they told me that Vodafone needed to arrange the replacement for me not them, so we will see if their response has changed having emailed them again this week.

I have recently switched to Vodafone from my previous carrier and purchased this device through Vodafone specifically so that I can make use of the wifi calling feature that it is advertised as having. I therefore urgently need to understand whether I should:

a) cancel this contract and return the phone under the 30 day network guarantee policy (or indeed at any time under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations given that the device I've purchased has been falsely advertised as having a feature it doesn't actually support) or

b) whether I can safely wait for the recall and replacement (whether by Samsung or Vodafone) confident that, once I have the new non-exploding model, wifi calling will DEFINITELY be activated and, since the replacement will potentially not now have come 'direct from Vodafone', that I will still be eligible to use it. I also need to know how long it will be before the function is going to be switched on. I'm not willing to continue paying monthly for a device I can't even use at home to make or receive calls (since I have no reception there - hence the need for wifi calling).

I'm guessing that you won't have answers relating to option (b) so I think I can guess what my next step will have to be. That's a real shame as, barring the fact that I can't currently make or recieve calls at home and that it risks burning my home down if left unattended, it really is an amazing phone. 😕

Hi @fareynuff

All we can advise on the device recall is here on our forum.

Is the other issue being resolved by our team? 

Thanks,

Sarah 

I called Vodafone Support and the person I spoke to checked with the team responsible for implementing wifi calling on the Note 7 and he/they confirmed that it is 'coming soon' but could give no indication of whether that meant days or months.

I can see the wifi call page now includes the Note 7 in it's description as a supported device. I also just got a text from Vodafone stating "Don't forget you have Wi-Fi calling included in your bundle..."

But I still can't activate it following the instructions provided as the option isn't there and, since I've not had any software updates since the first time I checked and it was confirmed as not currently supported, I assume that this isn't actually true and that this still hasn't actually been implemented for the Note 7?

Can anyone confirm if I'm right? And if I am, why you are still not only publicising it as a feature of the device, but also texting to remind me about it? It's bad enough I can't use the function I am paying for, sending me texts about it really is taking the .....

Hi @fareynuff

I've sent you a private message with details on how our team can get this looked into for you.

Thanks, 

Sarah

For the benefit of others reading this forum, I have contacted Vodafone again today as instructed and the person I spoke to confirmed that the Note 7 still doesn't support wifi calling and that there is no estimate they can give on when this will actually be made available on this device.

Dont think I  would hold my breath waiting on wifi calling from Voda

Yes, I have checked and I have the latest firmware version.

jonspittle
12: Established
12: Established
I wouldn't either; I think WiFi calling with Vodafone is more like at an Alpha stage and has been rushed out to the public way too early, possibly trying to stay close to EE and not fall behind them too much. The technical team barely no anything about it, from what I've been told the 3rd line support team are the ones who deal with the issues, therfore I'd suggest asking for that team to look in to the matter.

Good luck.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra.