Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 4 won't pick up 3G

Karena15
4: Newbie

My daughter has had to go back to iphone 4 for a while, as iphone 5 went for a trip down the toilet.

its working all be it slowly but won't connect to 3G 

any by ideas why this would be or how to make it work

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

On the iPhone hold down the Sleep/Wake Button and Home button together until the Apple Logo shows. Then On seeing this Apple Logo release both buttons ,and the iPhone will reset , which has been known to clear most glitches.

Settings -> General-> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Does it pick up 3G when out of your local mast area which I note you say is experiencing issues ?

Is 3G turned on in the Settings.

Does the phone still work ok on the Internet ?

Try texting WEB to 40127 for the APN Settings. 

A person can also manually key these in. 

Apn Settings from the GeekSquad Page and pay particular attention to the exact settings for Payg and Pay Monthly. 

"Tap Settings.
In the first section tap Mobile/Cellular.
Tap Mobile data network/Cellular data network.
Enter the following settings into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings;
Mobile/Cellular Data:
APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Password - web (PAYG - wap)
Visual Voicemail:
MMS:
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12:8799
MMS Max Message Size - 307200
(As a check, the image below shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Tap the left arrow at the top three times
Press the home button
On the status bar at the top of the screen, next to the name of your mobile network, you should now see a data connection indicator 4G, 3G, E or GPRS. This means the data connection is live and working."

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

18 REPLIES 18

Karena15
4: Newbie

Forgot to mention we are having network problems vodafone are aware and when her iphone 5 was working it did connect to 3G when not in our local area

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

On the iPhone hold down the Sleep/Wake Button and Home button together until the Apple Logo shows. Then On seeing this Apple Logo release both buttons ,and the iPhone will reset , which has been known to clear most glitches.

Settings -> General-> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

Does it pick up 3G when out of your local mast area which I note you say is experiencing issues ?

Is 3G turned on in the Settings.

Does the phone still work ok on the Internet ?

Try texting WEB to 40127 for the APN Settings. 

A person can also manually key these in. 

Apn Settings from the GeekSquad Page and pay particular attention to the exact settings for Payg and Pay Monthly. 

"Tap Settings.
In the first section tap Mobile/Cellular.
Tap Mobile data network/Cellular data network.
Enter the following settings into the onscreen form, without changing any other settings;
Mobile/Cellular Data:
Visual Voicemail:
MMS:
MMSC - http://mms.vodafone.co.uk/servlets/mms
MMS Proxy - 212.183.137.12:8799
MMS Max Message Size - 307200
(As a check, the image below shows blue text in the fields you should have completed)
Tap the left arrow at the top three times
Press the home button
On the status bar at the top of the screen, next to the name of your mobile network, you should now see a data connection indicator 4G, 3G, E or GPRS. This means the data connection is live and working."

Current Phone  >

My apologies I forgot to add. 

You mention it's working slowly. 

Is that in regards to it generally or how it works on the Internet ?

If so what iOS Firmware is it on. 

Try looking to deleting ->

iMessages / Sms / Rarely used Apps / Videos / Old Notes in the Notes App / Reminders / Calendar Entries / emails. / Pictures (I use DropBox to store pictures and other data so it does not take up my iPhones memory) /Reduce the amount of Music / Create a Back up to iTunes and or iCloud and restore it via iTunes to help reset it's iOS ,and this could help reduce the 'Other' section. This will push the iPhone to the Newest iOS update which is 9.1. (Newer iOS on older iPhones has been suggested that it can slow down older iPhones as they struggle to run some of the newer features. 

Current Phone  >

Thank you will give it a go :Smiling:

it it doesn't pick up anywhere at the mo

Forgot to add although it is a payg phone

the sim  is pay monthly

does that make a difference?

BandOfBrothers

@Karena15 wrote:

Forgot to add although it is a payg phone

the sim  is pay monthly

does that make a difference?

No ,that will have No bearing on the issue your having as long as the APN have reset. 

See my first reply on APN Settings and the Payg and pay monthly specific  settings. 

Current Phone  >

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome. 

May I ask ->

As the iPhone 5 takes a Nano sized Sim Card and the iPhone 4 takes a Micro Sized SIM card which process have you used to get round that ?

Also another troubleshooting tip is Can you try your Sim Card in another phone as a process of elimination to rule out the phone or sim card that may be at fault. 

Current Phone  >

AnnS

@Karena15

If you text web to 40127, you will find this is the quickest and easiest way to get the settings for pay monthly.

Alternatively, just connect to itunes, and this will download the correct settings direct to your phone.

Please click on the nano rep link on the right of the thread where you will be able to find all the information.

If you are still having problems, complete the information on the link below and copy and paste the results back on the thread for one of the Team of investigate your network issues.

Network Issues

A sim converter to make it into a micro, can take the nan out of it when she gets a newer phone