Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

late payments on credit file can't get a mortgage

markonegti
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So I recently applied for a Mortgage and got refused, checked experian and had 3 late payments on my partners phone.! (still in my name)

I've been with Vodafone for over 20 years on my number and never missed payment. I then took out a phone which I covered for my partner also for over 10 years and never missed a payment. Then about 2 years ago I spoke with vodafone and asked them to change the bank details to my partners as I did not want to foot the bill any more and wanted her to be the payment holder/bill payer of this phone. ( no one told me to go to a vodafone store to register reownership of the phone I must add). So at this point I assumed I had washed my hands of this number. 

Then my partner got sick and spent a lot of time calling her Mum in FInland and ran up a big bill of approx £300 which she could not cover at the time and got into 3 late payments, plus she did not tell me or ask for help. None the less she paid it of and got her phone back in order. What I dont get is why did vodafone not send me a letter about the unpaid balance nor even tell me to go to a vodafone store to transfer ownersip of this number when I told them I wanted my partner to be responsible for her own account.

So now I have a bad credit file and can't get a Mortgage, with 30 years of loyalty to paying my bills on time I would appreciate it if somone could help me with this matter as I've tried calling and got no where.

4 REPLIES 4

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @markonegti

I appreciate how damaging a default can be let me say first. 

Unfortunatley changing the bank direct debit details does not release you from ownership of the account as you’ve found out I’m afraid. Only a Change of Ownership does which is at the sole request of the Account Holder. I wouldn’t think it’s an option a Vodafone Agent would give unless asked for. 

So you would remain liable for payments. 

Vodafone would I assume make efforts to collect payment and if unsuccessful they can action restrictions of service and in the extreme pass on collections to a debt company and also add a default on a persons credit file. 

They are not required to advise the Account Holder they are / have added a Default. 

These defaults if warranted will last 6 years from the default date even if the debt is paid. It’s status would change from outstanding to settled on the Credit File. 

We do have a Vodafone Social Media Team here who read all posts and help where they can but from what you say it does sound like the Default Marker is Unfortunatley warranted. 

Here is some information in a help thread I wrote > Default-on-your-Credit-File-How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction.

To add if a Default is warranted then a Notice of Correction wouldn’t be applicable. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Well considering vodafone is a communications company it must be embarrassing how bad there communication and customer service has become. Firstly i told them i wanted to transfer this number into my partners details and they did not tell me to go to a store to go through change of ownership. Then she misses a payment and i did not get a simple letter for late payment. I am pretty sure every other company i have ever dealt with being in accounts send me a letter if a payment is due or over due. Then on top of that there is no customer relations or loyalty any more. You would have thought with the 10's of thousands i have paid vodfone over the years they would want to comunicate with a customer, but no. They show me no empathy as a faceless company they have become today.

I know someone who experienced a similar situation @markonegti

After contact with Vodafone's executive complaints team, there was action taken to reduce the severity of their credit file markers (late payment vs default). Vodafone should have a record of any letters which were issued to you and they should be able to provide copies.

If you cannot make progress which results in a satisfactory outcome ask for a 'letter of deadlock', you can then progress the complaint via an ombudsman.

Maybe one of the eForum Team can assist you in reviewing the situation initially?

Good Luck!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@markonegti I've sent you a private message with details to contact our dedicated Credit File team.

They'll then be in touch to discuss this further.