Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

transfer vodaphone number to new vodaphone contract

athistle
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I want to transfer my old number to my new contract. My old contract was vodafone and I was advised 31 days ago that my old number would need to be de-activated before I could transfer my number to my new contract which is also on vodafone and this would take 30 days. So yesterday evening I called vodafone and was advised that my old number had to be re-activated on PAYG before the number could be transferred. Then today I call vodafone again to be advised that the number has to be active for 30 days (another 30 days) before I can transfer it.

This is rediculous! I feel I am being discriminated against because I bought my new handset and contract deal through carphone warehouse and not vodafone (because vodafone could not offer me the same deal).

If I transferred to another network it would only take a couple of days to transfer the number, why is it so difficult on the same network!?

Is my only option to but a cheap SIM deal on another network, transfer my number to that then transfer it again to my new contract? Can anyone help?

I'm very disapointed with how vodafone have handled this and as a loyal customer for around 18 consecutive years it's not how I was expecting to be treated.

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @athistle

It is correct that you first need to cancel the contract and put the number on PAYG, due to 30 days notice, this will take 30 days to complete.

However, there is a quicker way, you need for ask Vodafone for a PAC code for the previous contract, use it to transfer to an alternative network as PAYG, top up and use the number to get the SIM active on the network, and then request a PAC code and back into Vodafone on the new contract from Carphone.

If you contact Vodafone using live chat or calling, from the number you need to port out, they will be in a position to get the code sent by text to your phone.

Thank you for the information. I don't know why the advisors I have spoken to couldn't explain this in the first place instead of wasting so much of my time. I will try this method of transfering my number even though it still seems a ridiculous process to have to go through.

hrym

I doubt Vodafone be terribly happy about advisors sending you to another network.  It would also put part of the process out of their control, so there may be a prohibition on it.

Yes hrym, it doesn't make any sense to me. Basically Vodafone have said it will take 60+ days to go through the whole process of transferring my number through them. I always thought that I had a legal right to my own number. When looking for a new contract package I spoke to a vodaphone advisor on the messaging service and they couldn't match the deal that carphone warehouse offered me. All the advisors just keep repeating the mantra that i'm elegible for loyalty discounts on an upgrade, but it still wasn't as good a deal for me. They make it sound like I have no right to purchase a contract with another company and are penalising me for doing so. I'm absolutely discusted with how I am being treated by them and it just doesn't seem right. 

hrym

I think there may be technical reasons why a number can't be transferred by PAC internally (and I think it may apply to all networks).   The advice you've been given so far is correct - you can get the number transferred to a Vodafone PAYG SIM, but that takes time, or you can PAC to another network (PAYG if you're planning to come back to Vodafone) and then PAC that to your new Vodafone contract. Because a PAC can be used, the process is (more or less) immediate.