Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Notifying Existing Provider when moving from FTTC to FTTP

pablopatito
4: Newbie

I am moving from TalkTalk FTTC to Vodafone FTTP next week. I don't know if this will by CityFibre or OpenReach as both are available at my exchange.

Do I need to notify TalkTalk or will Vodafone do that? I spoke to Vodafone and they say they haven't received a line takeover from Vodafone and that if I notify them instead I will incur a charge for the 30 day notice period.

I spoke to Vodafone and they told they won't notify TalkTalk.

I got the impression on the Vodafone website that transfers from TalkTalk would normally be handled by Vodafone, so I am confused.

I am now considering cancelling the order (if I can) and staying with TalkTalk to prevent the 30 day fee.

39 REPLIES 39

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It's almost as if first line support believe their role to to fob off the customer and avoid having to pass the call on.

It is actions like that that get Vodafone such a bad name.

Good to hear you are finally connected.

BaggedCat
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

This rubbish happening to me too. TalkTalk cancelled their service 15th Feb. Vodafone service still not live yet 5th Apr. Blaming each other and both not willing to do anything apart from both saying "well you can always start a new TT contract/cancel your new Vodafone order if you dont want it". Had to order a dongle for mobile internet while waiting for Vodafone (this was not offered to me as compensation or temporary solution) apparently i 'could' 'try' claim it back when my broadband is finally activated.

Jayach

If swapping supplier and Infrastructure at the time it is probably best to wait until the new fibre is running before cancelling the other service. The small extra cost is would have been worth it to avoid the current situation. Presumably if staying with the same ISP while upgrading any delay can be covered.

Hope it is resolved soon.

Yea the issue is TalkTalk claims Vodafone requested line take over so cancelled. Vodafone claims no they didn’t. I as the consumer did not cancel anything and assumed a smooth transition behind the scenes. 

Jayach

Did you ask to keep your phone number? If Vodafone requested take over of that, then maybe TalkTalk took that as requesting the broadband as well, not realising you were going to FTTP.

I wonder if maybe Vodafone have taken over the FTTC, have you tried the Vodafone router on the phone line?

I did request to keep my number, but the phone line is dead and the router doesn’t work in the old terminal’s.  Vodafone have yet to successfully arrange an openreach engineer to put in an optical terminal. 

Jayach

How does your current phone line come in? Overhead cable or underground?

Underground. 

Jayach

Having to come in underground is presumably a bit harder for Openreach as if overhead they just have to replace the telephone cable with a "hybrid" one containing copper and fibre.

I assume they have done all the preparation works in the street.

Yea they have already put a duct in with a rope poking out of it on the side of my house.  Just no one to poke a cable through my wall.