Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

All devices locking up at peak time

Ashlfc
4: Newbie

I don’t know if it’s congestion , cross talk or traffic management but nothing is running smooth at the moment. It’s never been great despite absolutely amazing stats and max speed but just lately it’s getting worse and worse It’s hard to even type on my phone or Xbox because everything is lagging so much.

Any ideas would be appreciated 

cheers. 

8 REPLIES 8

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@Ashlfc Disconnect everything from the LAN and just used one device and see if it is still as bad. Look in the router logs for DDOS or Flooding attacks. Have you accidentally wired a loop so broadcast storm is going on (you'd notice traffic lights going mad)? Have you got two devices trying to offer DHCP? 

Hi, No it’s none of that. Not sure what you mean by ‘wiring a loop’ though. Pretty sure it’s the physical connection. Stats are good part from interleaving on the download side. 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Ashlfc! Have you taken a look at our Network Status Checker here? If this is showing as Good Indoors & Outdoors, please click here for our Network troubleshooting steps and template. If you've completed the steps and are still having an issue, please complete the template and post it back to this thread. We'd be happy to investigate further with you 😊

Hi Beth this is for Home Broadband. Nothing to do with mobile internet coverage? 

Cynric

@Ashlfc You can send the traffic "mad" if you had ethernet connections looped back, e.g. one wire plugged into 2 ports on the router or a switch. It's easy to accidentally do this if there are a lot of wires in your LAN. Hence cables are available in colours or with labelling tags.

Ahh right I’m with you. No it’s not that unfortunately it’s something outside my home network but with it not effecting speed I doubt I’ll be able to get an engineer to sort it for free as it’ll probably still pass tests. 

Jayach

If it is happening outside your home network, try setting up a Thinkbroadband monitor. That should show just what is happening.

Broadband Quality Monitor | thinkbroadband 

Thank you! I’ll look into it.