Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Amazon fire stick connection drop

Karl_john
2: Seeker

Hi I recently joined Vodafone full fiber broadband but I'm having problems with my amazon fire stick losing connection after about 30min of it running perfectly. Everything els is working OK although when what's app face timing last night the connection was rubbish even tho I'm sat within 1/2m from the router and the stick is within 3m directly in front of it. I've contact Vodafone 3 times now with in the last 24hrs. First I was told it was a firmware needed update on the router, then it was that the fire stick wasn't compatible with the 5GHZ which it is. Now I'm been told I need to contact amazon but I've never had a problem in the 3years I've had the stick until we switch to Vodafone on Tuesday.  I've seen a few post on here with the same sort of problems but I can't see how it was fixed. Cheers 

10 REPLIES 10

Lucy_F

Hi @Karl_john,

Thank you for raising this to us, sorry to hear the trouble you're facing. We as the Social Media Team are not able to troubleshoot technical broadband issues. Broadband troubleshooting can be actioned here or via our dedicated broadband app. Faults can be diagnosed and escalated via these self serve options and handed over to the designated teams. Our Broadband Team can also be reached on 03333040191 or Live Chat to discuss things with the team directly. 

JJG92

Does this only happen to the fire stick or does it happen to other devices aswell ? 

Yes everthing els is working fine. 

JJG92

The possibl solution to the issue is to log in to the router via the web ui and go in to the wireless settins and change the 5GHz channel from auto to 36 and change the wireless sercurity option to WPA2-PSK [AES] and see if that works. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@JJG92 

I assume you are not on Vodafone, or you would know Vodafone have removed the option to chose the wireless channel.

Sorry what do you mean wireless channel? 

Jayach

@Karl_john wrote:

Sorry what do you mean wireless channel? 

My reply was to @JJG92, but basically the Wi-Fi bands are split into multiple channels.

Depending on what what channels your surrounding neighbours are using, it can be advantageous to select a different one.  

However that ability has been removed from the Vodafone routers.

I'm with vodafone but i use my own 3rd party router only had the vodafone router connected when city fibre insalled it then soon as they left put a 3rd part router in.

Jayach

That explains why you were unaware of the limitations of the Vodafone router.

To be honest, anyone who wants to make the most of their connection should do the same.

However it does mean losing easy access to the phone connection.