cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

BT Wifi Disk not working with Vodafone router (red light)

pez_beats
2: Seeker

Hi all! 

Having some issues trying to connect my BT whole home wifi disks to my Vodafone router. When I plug the disk in to the router and follow the steps on the app the disk goes from a flashing blue to a static red and not connecting however, on the Vodafone broadband app it shows as a device connected to the network? I spoke to a chap on the phone yesterday regarding a different issue and he says they are just TP-Link repeaters branded as BT so they should be able to work with Vodafone.

Is there something in the Vodafone settings I need to change in order to allow access or something? Wonder if any one else has had this problem? 

Thanks in advance for you help!

8 REPLIES 8

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

Dunno.

When you first plug in your Wi-Fi disc please wait for the disc to start-up. This usually takes about 2 minutes.

If you see these colours when you’re not starting up your Wi-Fi disc, follow the instructions to try to resolve the problem.

Can you reset the discs to 'FACTORY' and then......

Alternatively, follow the steps below to connect using an ethernet cable. There's one in your Hub box.

1. Plug one end of the ethernet cable into a yellow port on the back of the Hub and the other end into the yellow port on the disc
  2. The light on the Wi-Fi disc will start flashing blue and will turn solid blue after a couple of minutes
  3. You can now unplug the cable. The light will change to flashing red, but will go back to solid blue after a few seconds
  4. Unplug the disc from the mains and plug it in at the preferred location

I've tried all of that, unfortunately. Even the factory reset on the and power cycling both units. 

All that happens is the disk goes through the same cycle of purple, flashing blue, red.

Not sure what else to do other than replace them with another system. I've had them for a while and they worked with my BT router. Thought I might be able to get some extra use out of them! 

Thought it was slightly strange that the Vodafone app was picking them up and showing them on the network which leads me to think it's something to do with allowing access maybe? 

AND the BT app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bt.wholehomewifi&hl=en_GB

So if you give all the details of what Vodafone app sees it may give us a clue.

Like the IP address range?

192.168.X.X  ??

PhillK

Was this problem ever resolved successfully as I have exactly the same problem.

I have the same issue too.

I’ve tried the factory reset, followed by connecting the disc via the Ethernet cable.  It just ends up turning red.

I’ve also tried connecting it wirelessly using the WPS button, but this didn’t work either.  Any other suggestions?

I’m sorry I don’t have a solution. I have had exactly the same problems as you. I have spoken to at least 3 online advisers- they say that they can update and improve the router performance. They have done this and the problem is still there. I’m not technical so I don’t fully understand the issues. I have written a complaint to Vodafone and am waiting for a response. I’ll let you know - but I’m not expecting too much.

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

There are multiple versions of these discs from BT, and while they look similar, the functionality can be wildly different!

If you've bought the discs at retail as a WiFi replacement system then you should be able to get them to work, easily!  However, some of the discs supplied directly by BT are a supplementary add-on mesh specifically for various BT hubs,  Getting the latter to work with none-BT equipment is difficult, if not impossible (even if you do incredibly naughty things to your BT hub)!

Jayach

@PhillK wrote:

I have written a complaint to Vodafone and am waiting for a response. I’ll let you know - but I’m not expecting too much.

Do I understand you correctly? You are complaining to Vodafone because your BT Wi-Fi discs don't work?

As per @CrimsonLiar's post, which version of the discs do you have?