Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Banded connection / Dlm Reset?

Alekc
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I've recently (March) moved to Vodafone after several years of being with other internet providers. Doing that time I've always had a stable connection without any issues. 

Once moved to Vodafone, I've been achieving a stable throughput of 68-72 mbit from Speedtest. That until 2 months ago where I've begin to ceil on 49mbit. After speaking with customer care, my speed raised to 55mbit (throughput) and I've been told that it should get better in couple of weeks. 

A month has passed and there is no improvement, I've looked at my stats and it looks like DLM has intervened pretty significantly i.e. introducing a delay on downstream of 8 ms. 

My current stats

DSL Mode
ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)
DSL Uptime
2 days, 23 hours, 23 minutes and 19 seconds
Line Coding
DMT
Status
Connected
Number of Cuts
Link Power State
L0
Line Quality
Downstream	Upstream
Current Rate	62562 kbps	20000 kbps
Maximum Rate	76032 kbps	27359 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio	6.3 dB	9.5 dB
Attenuation	DS1 8.5 dB, DS2 18.4 dB, DS3 27.1 dB	US0 3.7 dB, US1 14.7 dB, US2 21.5 dB
Power	13.4 dBm	0.8 dBm
CRC Errors in last 4283 minute(s)	21	623
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)	0	0
R (number of bytes in RS code word)	12	16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)	0.0264	0.3771
D (interleaver depth)	1225	1
Delay	8 ms	0 ms
Downstream	Upstream
Super Frames	151247640	41959078
Super Frame Errors	21	623
RS Words	***	***
RS Correctable Errors	572655	1663
RS Uncorrectable Errors	176	0
Downstream	Upstream
HEC Errors	34	0
OCD Errors	0	0
LCD Errors	0	0
Total Cells	854900428	0
Data Cells	671368491	0
Bit Errors	0	0
Downstream	Upstream
Total ES	8	27624
Total SES	0	12
Total UAS	30	10046

Bt Stats

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 10.55.47.png

When estimating my speed for a new contract on vodafone page it gives me following figures (note the very narrow download speed)

2021-10-08 07.28.33 www.vodafone.co.uk 1a75b11b64b2.png

in comparison these figures are for my neighbours (and what I used to have)

2021-10-08 07.33.13 www.vodafone.co.uk d3663177fcf5.png

As consequence I contacted customer care asking for a DLM reset on my line to ensure that it was not stuck on profile and ensure that there is indeed a fault causing the line to be dropped by ove 20%

Customer care insisted that there is no fault on the line, although since we discovered that test socket is not working on my master socket, he referred me to the second line of support. 

Fast forward, and I got to speak with second line, where 

1) They stated that the fault was open for "no web pages opening at all" o.O

2) The fact that test socket is not wired is not an issue

3) They stopped doing DLM resets long time ago o.O

What would community suggest given all of above?

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information. Please see Community Guidelines]

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I don't think the problem is DLM, I think it is doing it's job but it sounds like something is causing a degradation in your line, but it is so slight (at the moment) that I can't see Vodafone doing anything about it.

The test socket not working is more concerning, as it should be impossible for the main socket to work as normally that gets it's signal by plugging into the test socket.(I've probably not explained that too well)

Could you post pictures of your test socket/master socket set up.

Sure, this is from when I was doing some testing as required by Vodafone (and it wasn't working)

photo_2021-10-08_11-27-52.jpg

As you can see from the logo, it was set up at some point at the 90s, and basically what they've done is to drill a hole in the wall, feed through a cable and connect it to another 2 gangs socket. 

I've been always connected to the second one without questioning anything while it has been working. As things are right now, I doubt there is any kind of connectivity on the front plate at all (given that if I am not wrong it should be fed by the test socket).

Jayach

Oh dear, that doesn't look right at all. It looks like they have bypassed the master socket completely. Really that needs sorting out but, if as you say it has always worked like that, it doesn't seem likely to be the cause of the current problems.

So you normally plug in to an extension socket (the 2 gang socket you mentioned), could we have a picture of that?

Do you have a date for when you will be getting Full Fibre as it may be worth waiting till then, as long as it doesn't get any worse.

it's as botched job as you can imagine given the above connection photo_2021-10-11_17-19-05.jpg

The socket has been removed from the wall during a refurbishment about 3 year ago and was laying behind the sofa (not ideal, but again, do not touch it until it works). 

In theory I could open the extension and recheck / refit wires, but i'd rather avoid it for now if possible. 

Full fiber is something under works in rural villages nearby, but for the duration of my vodafone contract (15m) I doubt anything will change. 

Correct me if I am wrong, in theory the master socket up to the testing socket should be under the openreach responsibility, and should be rectified by their engineer?

Jayach

@Alekc wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, in theory the master socket up to the testing socket should be under the openreach responsibility, and should be rectified by their engineer?

You are correct, but Vodafone would have to call them out, and they may charge if the socket has been  "interfered" with.

When I first joined I had problems and Openreach were called out and I was a bit worried as my master socket had, at some time in the past, before I owned the property, been removed from the wall and just sat on top of a fitted cupboard. It was so old it didn't even have a test socket but they just replaced it for a filtered socket and left it where it was. I think it very much depends on the engineer.

I see, well, given the age and the nature of the problem (I think it's unlikely that to wire up an extension they have ripped out the test socket, I am more inclined to think that it was done when installing everything together given that even the extension has the same old logo), if it comes down to engineer visit he will see "the reason". 

On a bright side, yesterday I've switched off the router for over an hour in a hope that it would change something on DLM side of things, and looks like something is moving. Yesterday after switching it on the noise margin was 6.1, and it got down to 5.9 this morning. Fingers crossed if it continues to go down I will see some improvements on the latency as well. 

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Alekc - thanks for sending all that information over and letting us know what's been happening. 

Please come and speak to my team over Facebook or Twitter - so we can take a further look into what's going on with your service. 

Today came the Openreach engineer. After rewiring of master socket and dlm reset I got my connection back to normal speed

DSL Status Information
DSL Mode
ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)
DSL Uptime
8 minutes and 41 seconds
Line Coding
DMT
Status
Connected
Number of Cuts
Link Power State
L0
Line Quality
Downstream	Upstream
Current Rate	74826 kbps	20000 kbps
Maximum Rate	75701 kbps	27383 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio	6.2 dB	9.5 dB
Attenuation	DS1 6.4 dB, DS2 26.3 dB, DS3 34.3 dB	US0 2.9 dB, US1 13.3 dB, US2 20.9 dB
Power	13.4 dBm	0.4 dBm
CRC Errors in last 8 minute(s)	4	183
K (number of bytes in DMT frame)	0	0
R (number of bytes in RS code word)	0	16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame)	0.1021	0.3771
D (interleaver depth)	1	1
Delay	0 ms	0 ms
Downstream	Upstream
Super Frames	308107	85123
Super Frame Errors	1	0

RS Correctable Errors	0	0
RS Uncorrectable Errors	0	0