Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Dead After Powercut

NGM1
4: Newbie

My Full Fibre 100 connection died on Tuesday night following a very brief power cut. The only light on the router is the power light, there are only 2 lights on the ONT lit. 

Frustrated at how slow VF are in sorting this out and sure it is a router issue i went and bought a new router today, a TP-Link AC2100 (Archer VR600)

On connecting it all the lights light up on the router and the port light on the ONT lights up. The Wi-Fi network is also discoverable.  However I cannot get the internet to connect.  Does this indicate an actual fault or is it likely the VF router is borked and I am not going the set up for the new router correctly?

It is now in the hands of the 3rd level team but if anyone can offer any help in the meantime I’d appreciate it.

21 REPLIES 21

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

To connect with a third party router you need to get your PPPoE details from vodafone. Openreach connection won't need a vlanid but Cityfibre will be 911.

I've never used a Tp-link router so I won't be able to guide you further. 

Thanks, I have entered the PPPoE details as given to me. 

Jayach

@NGM1 wrote:

Thanks, I have entered the PPPoE details as given to me. 

And is it now working?

No, still not working. Gone over the whole process several times but no luck.

Jayach

The router you bought is a VDSL router, meaning it has a modem, which is unnecessary on FTTP.

It won't stop it working as just a router, but may complicate matters.

I've not used a TP-Link router, but I believe they have a setup wizard. It should be possible to use that and just provide the username and password when requested,, (and possibly the VLAN). Make sure the WAN port is connected to the ONT before powering on the router and it should ensure it detects the correct port.

If it doesn't have a wizard, make sure it is in Wireless Router mode, as per the "Already have a modem?" section in the link below.

7106508687_Archer VR2100&Archer VR600_QIG.pdf (tp-link.com)

As for the THG3000, you say it just has the power LED on, so try holding in the reset button for at least 10 seconds to try to force a factory reset. It probably won't work as it has been damaged, but still worth trying.

I’ve reset the TGH3000 several times and it’s not made any difference.

Contacted  VF this morning who gave me a completely difference set of PPPoE details, quite frustrating and it still doesn’t work. TP Link support said to put 101 in the LAN. Still no internet connection.

So either they’ve given me the wrong PPPoE details again or there is a fault on the line although the router and ONT are all lit as you’d expect. So annoying.

Ripshod

Take the THG3000 out totally,. Connect your Tp-link's wan directly to the ONT and then try. 

Already done that. 

Jayach

@NGM1 wrote:

Contacted  VF this morning who gave me a completely difference set of PPPoE details, quite frustrating and it still doesn’t work. TP Link support said to put 101 in the LAN. Still no internet connection.

You have to wonder how they could give 2 completely different PPPoE credentials.

VLAN 101 is correct if on Openreach, 911 if on CityFibre.

I can't understand why Vodafone have not sent a new router, they usually send them by DPD so would get to you overnight.