Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Dead After Powercut

NGM1
4: Newbie

My Full Fibre 100 connection died on Tuesday night following a very brief power cut. The only light on the router is the power light, there are only 2 lights on the ONT lit. 

Frustrated at how slow VF are in sorting this out and sure it is a router issue i went and bought a new router today, a TP-Link AC2100 (Archer VR600)

On connecting it all the lights light up on the router and the port light on the ONT lights up. The Wi-Fi network is also discoverable.  However I cannot get the internet to connect.  Does this indicate an actual fault or is it likely the VF router is borked and I am not going the set up for the new router correctly?

It is now in the hands of the 3rd level team but if anyone can offer any help in the meantime I’d appreciate it.

21 REPLIES 21

Called VF again who have at least agreed their router was faulty and are sending out a new one which I’ll receive on Tuesday thanks to the holiday weekend.

As for the TP Link router, I’m entering everything correctly as far as I can see, a more knowledgable friend has tried and still no internet connection. Really at a loss now!

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@NGM1 wrote:

Called VF again who have at least agreed their router was faulty and are sending out a new one which I’ll receive on Tuesday thanks to the holiday weekend.

They should have done that as soon as you told them it had only the power LED on.

I suggest you raise an official complaint, your fault has been handled appallingly.

Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone UK

Seems rather obvious and I would have had the router on Wednesday. I do intend to make a complaint once I get back up and running.

Getting a new VF router sent but still want something else and as I can’t get the VR600 to work was wondering if the Deco M4 would be any use?

CrimsonLiar

I would get back to a point where you have working internet first.  As it stands there would still seem to be the possibility that something else locally could be damaged.

As for replacement routers, if you are buying new, then I'd go for something that at least has WiFi6, and if you need a mesh, then the more nodes you need the faster those nodes really ought to be.

*Currently using an Asus GT-AX6000 since April (Monsterously discounted), and an Asus RP-AX56 - AX1800 (retail price).  The RP=AX56 as an Asus AiMesh node has MASSIVELY outperformed my expectations - but would only do this paired with an Asus router!

Went out and changed the router for the Deco 4 and still having issues connecting to the internet. 

So it’s either the PPPoE details that or still wrong or there is actually another fault locally. All will become clear on Tuesday when the new VF router arrives I suppose ! 

The new VF router drives today and I was back up and running in 5 minutes which is great, should have been sorted last week but there we go.

Now I have the conundrum of connecting the Deco M4. I can now only assume those PPPOE details supplied are wrong as everything else was fine.

Jayach

If you want to keep the telephone line, you could use the Deco as an access point.

We’ve not used a landline for over 2 years so not bothered about that.

I would like to use the Deco to replace the VF router, apart from the obvious Wi-Fi improvement it would also allow me to move the stuff I have connected  to the router ( Hive hub, Hue Hub and NAS ) to the study etc. These are on a sideboard in the dining room and it’s very cluttered with cables etc. 

Jayach

If the landline is not a consideration, then replacing the Vodafone router with the Deco is definitely the way to go.

Getting the correct PPPoE credentials is often a problem, I can only suggest using live chat. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/ and asking them to copy and paste the username and password, so there is no confusion.