Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband connection drops when landline rings

DJ-S
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Whenever my landline rings the broadband connection drops. The router shows a red light which then resets to reconnect to the internet. The only 2 connections to sockets in the house are the router and one corded phone. Both of these have filters. I have disconnected the phone and filter but the router still drops the connection when the landline number is called, so it can't be the phone or filter that is causing the issue. Is this an external line or exchange issue? Thanks in advance for any advice.

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It's possible the filter is faulty. I would try in the master socket with the phone and router connected to the same filter. If it still fails try with the other filter. Hopefully that may diagnose the faulty one, or at least eliminate the filters.

Edit: I should also say use the test socket if possible.

Thanks I’ll try that 

Hi, I also have this problem but don’t really follow your reply. What’s a filter? And how do I know where the master socket is? Or a test socket?

Apologies I’m not very tech-savvy at all. It’s just my internet constantly dropping out is getting embarrassing!

Hi

Depending on the age of the install, you can have 1 of several different types of BT/OR socket.

Some are single, like in the picture below, some can be dual socket.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/getting-set-up/home-networks/a-wired-home-network/what-type-of-mas...

The test socket is usually found by removing the face plate, clips or screws.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-v61xxvlREtw/WCCikGyqcZI/AAAAAAAACJo/5QxVg_cXi_Ah_b4ouvTfl3QUfDDSlgapQCLcB...

The RINGER can cause issues, this is a 3 rd wire connected to terminal 3, not something for a home user to necessarily get involved with.

If in doubt please ask.

OR BT n5 socket.png

Jayach

@Joannahoolet wrote:

Hi, I also have this problem but don’t really follow your reply. What’s a filter? And how do I know where the master socket is? Or a test socket?

That probably explains why you have a problem.

The master socket is (usually) the first socket where the BT line enters the house. It will either be a filtered socket, in which case it will have two ports, one for the router and one for the phone.

If it only has one port you need to use a filter that splits the line into two for the router and phone.

Now comes what is probably your problem. If you are using a filter and have any other wired phone extensions in the house you must have a filter on those also.

The test socket is a hidden socket on newer (they have been there a long time but some people haven't had their telephone wiring updated for decades) that enables you to bypass your internal wiring when fault finding.

This makes sense to me.

I don’t know where my master socket is - there are many sockets in this house. The phone and the router are in different sockets but there’s only a filter on the router.

i’ve unplugged the phone from its socket but if I got a filter for that, might that fix my problem? 

Really appreciate your help with this -thank you. I’ve spent the last few weeks thinking the phone ringing was alerting me to the internet about to go down...

Jayach

@Joannahoolet wrote:

i’ve unplugged the phone from its socket but if I got a filter for that, might that fix my problem? 

Probably. (hedging my bets there) In the meantime you can plug the phone into the filter along with the router. It shouldn't cause any problems there.

If you don't have the router in the master socket you will probably have a lower speed than your line is capable of as internal telephone wiring is not designed to carry broadband signals.

Also you should disconnect the "bell" wire from the master socket (if fitted) It is the wire on connection 3 (2&5 are the signal wires) But start with a extra filter you may find that is all that is needed.

If you google terms such as DSL filtering, telephone bell wire, you will gets lots of info, if you need any more explanations, just ask.

You are an absolute star - thank you so much 

Hi

BT OR sockets.png

MicroFilter.png