Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadcast upd

Catalinaganta
1: Seeker

I need to enable broadcast upd on local network on my wifi for a light device that connects through wifi

3 REPLIES 3

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I've never personally come across any device that requires open ports. Communications are usually established by the device not the Internet. 

What exactly is this device and where are you getting this advice? 

CrimsonLiar

Within a LAN it's pretty much up to individual devices and their individual rules/firewalls as to what ports they listen to, at least up to the point where you start using VLANs and routing rules.  "Broadcast UDP" without any further clarification is meaningless, if you mean port forwarding then best to stick the listening device on a fixed LAN IP and then set up the forwarding rule for the specific port.  As @Ripshod mentioned it might be useful to tell us the make and model of the device in case anyone has previous experience!

Ripshod

It'll be better to set a static ip to the device concerned and then open the relevant udp port then you'll know how to address it directly, but if you don't have a phobia of coding and insist on using broadcast udp this is a read for you

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/562659/(solved)-how-can-send-a-udp-broadcast-to-...

I do not support this action, but you asked the question.