Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Changing IP Adress

P1x3l8
4: Newbie

Hi all...quick question - I'm in Scotland and my line for the first time is connected to Edinburgh - My ping for gaming has dropped from around 22 to average of 9 and it's great. However, I'm now afraid to reboot my router weekly as I think it will change my IP and therefore, I'll end up connected to Bradford or outer mongolia or something... Any advice?

4 REPLIES 4

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Don't reboot the router 😉

Seriously though, since I was moved back to my local gateway I've rebooted quite a few times, sometimes multiple times per day and not moved away. Enjoy the service you now have and don't worry about what could possibly happen because it may not. Also don't worry about the ip you'll have as it has no bearing on the gateway you'll be connected to. 

Jayach

Trying to make sense of why Vodafone stick us on the gateway they do will drive you mad.

My gateway changed from London (good) to Leeds (bad) one night, and I certainly hadn't rebooted, so I think it really doesn't matter.

P1x3l8
4: Newbie

Thanks as always for your replies. Actually @Jayach , they did exactly that - changed it last night but no router reboot. The address is different however I remained on the Edinburgh line... So @Ripshod , are you saying I should leave the router alone for the time being or just take the chance and do things as normal?  

Ripshod

I don't see any reason to stop doing what you normally do.