Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connect HG612 and Eero

Dinvan21
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, has anyone ever tried connecting an Eero to the HG612?

As the Eero doesn't support PPPoE, I have bridged the connection using the HG612 with the username and password obtained from Vodafone. 

The HG612 seems to connect to the internet okay but when the Eero is plugged in, it doesn't seem to connect. 

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't already done so, download the manual for the Huawei HG612 modem.

By default, the modem is set up incorrectly for what you are trying to do, so I believe you'll need to go through the Configuring the PTM Route -PPPoE procedure that starts on page 3-8 of the manual.

This is where it gets complicated because I'm not in the position of being able to take down my network to test this.  I BELIEVE With the default settings on the modem where it expresses it's local IP as 192.168.1.1 you'll need to have the WAN port of the main Eero set within the 192.168.1.x subnet (such as 192.168.1.10) and the Eero devices in a separate subnet such as 192.168.2.x

When you've got all that done, you might also want to play with a couple of different MTU sizes

If you've already tried all that, then hopefully someone else will have an extra suggestion or two!

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@Dinvan21 wrote:

As the Eero doesn't support PPPoE, I have bridged the connection using the HG612 with the username and password obtained from Vodafone. 

I'm not an expert in this, and I know nothing of the Eero, but if you are still using the Vodafone router why would you need a username and password? It is already built into the Vodafone router.

As the Vodafone router doesn't have modem mode would it possibly make sense to get a cheap VDSL modem router that does and use that instead. Such as https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Wireless-Support-UK-TD-W9970/dp/B013OXVA6M/ref=sr_1_2

I'm just thinking out loud here and if my suggestion is total nonsense feel free to tell me so.