Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dropped connections

Lee1976uk2
3: Seeker

Since moving to vodafone from bt getting constant drops in connection. Lots of errors in the logs. Spoke to tech support and they were useless. Wish i stayed with BT. What is a good third party router.

16:01:30

Category: system

2022/01/25 16:01:30 [warn] 6471#0: *112 [lua] session.lua:103: changeUser(): changing user to vodafone

16:01:24

2022/01/25 16:01:24 [error] 6471#0: *112 [lua] sessionmgr.lua:262: redirectIfNotAuthorized(): Unauthorized request

16:01:23

Category: data

failed to send packet: Network is unreachable

failed to send packet: Network is unreachable

Category: firewall

[168392.291526] DROP wan in: IN=pppoe-wan OUT= MAC= src=170.106.115.55 DST=84.64.72.128 LEN=52 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=49 ID=30864 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=31888 DPT=30009 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

16:01:22

2022/01/25 16:01:22 [error] 6471#0: *112 [lua] sessionmgr.lua:262: redirectIfNotAuthorized(): Unauthorized request

16:01:07

failed to send packet: Address family not supported by protocol

16:01:07

failed to send packet: Address family not supported by protocol

32 REPLIES 32

Cynric
16: Advanced member

There's a number of outbound packets with errors. Without more detail it is hard to say whether they are coming from a device connected to your LAN or the router being silly.

The "lua" ones are normally what is seen at boot as the router sorts itself out. Alternatively did you make an error logging on to the router?

The "firewall" one is someone outside probing your ip address. This happens to everyone all of the time.

But there's nothing out of the ordinary in the log sample which you have shared.

No i didnt have issues logging into the router. The line has been more stable today. I notice it more when streaming and it buffers. Then takes ages to reconnect.  Will be looking at getting a better router in the long term.  

Jayach

Whilst I totally agree with @Cynric I am confused about "failed to send packet: Address family not supported by protocol" and googling it has left me none the wiser.

It may be a IPv6 (not natively supported by Vodafone) problem, but why it would cause the connection to drop I have no idea.

CrimsonLiar

lua: means in order to do something it is having to change to a different user - you don't want to do everything as the equivalent of root!  Not an issue!  User 103 "Vodafone" appears to be the equivalent of "root"

sessionmgr.lua:262: redirectIfNotAuthorized():  Rather too cryptic an error to be of much use on its own, possibly the result of port forwarding to a none-existent client, a NAT issue caused by double-NAT, or IPv6.

The firewall message is the obligatory dropped packet from an unsolicited source - if you saw all of these they would total in the hundreds if not thousands per day, and are the router firewall doing its job to protect you.

failed to send packet: Network is unreachable & failed to send packet: Address family not supported by protocol:  These are routing-related again probably related to port forwarding, (double?) NAT, or IPv6.

I guess the question is:  Are these issues affecting your ability to access the internet in the manner in which you are trying?  It's common that while you'll see the errors if the router has managed to fix such issues, the fix is managed silently.

THG3000-IPv6
4: Newbie

Dropped connections is it while playing on-line games?

I would suggest when you think you having "Dropped connections" on one device install a VPN,
you can use free one from CloudFlare (CF) called WARP, you can get free config file from here https://cf-warp.maple3142.net/warp.conf

and then client of your choosing from here https://www.wireguard.com/install/
Import the *.conf profile into your clinet Turn it On/Off few times to get registered and try using the internet over VPN. If it works over VPN but does'n work on device without an VPN then there could be congestion on VF/OpenReach network (assuming you have xDSL).

On PC you can as well run PING in the Command Prompt (cmd) and see how/if the reply is delayed/lost.
Here is an example for Linux/Mac machine, I think it's similar for Windows but have it continuously running you have to put -t at the end otherwise it will only do 4 pings if I remember correctly.
ping4 one.one.one.one (for IPv4)
ping6 one.one.one.one (For IPv6)

If you get synch/line drops then you should see it in the DSL Status Menu:

Number of Cuts - xx

Lee1976uk2

Thanks everyone.

The connection dropped completely the other night, and the line seems to be more stable.

There are no dropped packets.

I have turned off ipv6 from the router and use cloudflare dns. These are manually added to the router. 

I dont have a pc, just smart phones, tablets and my sons ps5.

I will monitor it in the next few days see what occurs.

On the dsl settings i have 2 cuts. 

When you think you have "Dropped connections"

a] plug the DSL filter into test socket
b] plug in a wire phone
Call 17070 BT Line Test
Select:
2 - Quiet line test - max 5min
Listen for sound imperfections (line got to be quite, no noice at all),
if you can hear cracling sounds then it's the line problem and OpenRech (OR)
need to come and sort it. But VF need to request it as your BB provider.

tomba59

Hi Lee. 

I've had the same issues since installation in May 2021.

Initially the fault was that the OpenReach engineer had linked my SuperFast2 to the street cabinet but "had forgotten to activate the fibre"(?). The Vodafone engineer sorted it the following week after many phone calls and tests. We still have an erratic wireless connection and the Vodafone Box flashes RED for internet when there is an issue. Happens pretty much every day between 5 and 6pm (and some shorter random times). 

I've logged the issue again and the online explanation is "cabinet issue", hopefully sorted within 72 hours.

I believe FULL FIBRE is coming soon to all SuperFast2 customers (same contract price) but I've read from others with the same "dropout issues" that a new replacement ROUTER is the only solution. Fingers crossed!

Jayach

@tomba59 wrote:

I believe FULL FIBRE is coming soon to all SuperFast2 customers (same contract price) but I've read from others with the same "dropout issues" that a new replacement ROUTER is the only solution. Fingers crossed!

I don't know where you have read that, there is no likelihood that my area will get FTTP in the near future. (it is not in the plans for the next couple of years)

As for a replacement router being the only cure for dropped connections, that simply isn't true. There are multiple possible reasons.