Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTP soon but telephone problem

Techguy1
4: Newbie

Hi

We recently had a telephone problem, our line wouldn't work at all and said call line error.  We had an engineer come around and he was out for many hours fixing it, he just said there was a problem at the local exchange after initially saying it was a problem a few hundred meters down the road.  It was working again and internet speeds were more stable.  However today we have noticed the telephone line not working again, different this time, no dial tone and sounds engaged when rung, before it said call line error.  

Anyway after it was fixed 10 days ago I decided to look on vodafones website and saw we could get FTTP, we are on FTTC now.  So I went ahead and ordered an upgrade and it will be installed on 16th Feb. 

As I understand it we won't be using the copper telephone lines in the house any more, but will our landline need to be fixed before the Full fibre is installed?  When my dad rang up the woman said it would need to be fixed, but not sure if it's true or not, he gave up as he couldn't understand what to do. 

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

No your copper telephone line does not need to be fixed, before you move to FTTP.

Once on FTTP, the telephone service will be delivered by VoIP, and the telephone will be connected to the router.

Hi

Thanks for the response, I didn't think it would need to be fixed, I guess we still keep our landline number and its just moved to VoIP somehow.  We have had no end of problems here with telephone and/or broadband service over the years, hopefully having full fibre everything will be a bit more stable!

Techguy1
4: Newbie

Seems like the fault was fixed yesterday, dad noticed the phone was working and then they sent him a text a few hours later saying it's back up and running.  I wasn't even sure if he had reported the problem correctly!