Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre Broadband not working on Desktop Computer

stickyboy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

So i got the Vodafone Superfast 100 broadband to replace my old very slow Sky Broadband (max 2 users for basic surfing) which was the best they offered. All fitted this morning and works fine on mobile phones but the desktop gets 0 bars (sometimes 1 bar) internet connection. The router was put upstairs at front bedroom and computer is downstairs at back but they said it will work fine over Wi-fi. Both our Mobile phones get full bars on the vodafone router at the same location of the computer desktop is so any ideas on what i can do to try? 

7 REPLIES 7

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Unless it's a gaming desktop with a stupidly equipped external antenna you are probably asking a lot of the THG3000 router with its own internal PCB etched antennas!

It might seem a bit odd, but even turning the desktop around so that its WiFi antennas aren't blocked by its own case may help a little.

If that helps, but its still not enough, then better WiFi in the desktop is probably the next option (which will probably mean disabling the built-in WiFi).  Whether you go expansion slot or USB go for a design that allows you to place the antenna away from the PC and any other metal objects.

In some circumstances power-line adapters are useful, but the longer the distance the greater the slowdown, and if you've a modern house with separate circuits for upstairs and downstairs then crossing the circuit breakers slows things down too!  Keeping a powerline on the same floor (circuit) running to an access point over the area of the Desktop is an option, as would be running an ethernet cable from the router around the outside of the house and re-entering for either a direct connection to the desktop or once again an access-point.

Last suggestion would be to find and use a third party router that is renowned for it's WiFi range, but you'd still need to retain your VF router incase you ever need help from customer support!

Jayach

If the mobile phones get full signal strength in the same location as the PC, it may be that the PC is only using 2.4Ghz. I find the 5Ghz signal from the THG3000 seems better than the 2.4Ghz.

What adapter are you using for the desktop? Was the Sky router in the same place? Do you have Sky Q with Mini boxes?

its a netgear wireless USB adapter.  The Sky router is nearer to be fair. (no mini boxes). The computer sees much better signals on neighbours routers. Am i just being to optimistic it would work? When they fitted it they said it would be fine

must be something to do with their router as i get much better signals on all our neighbours routers from that PC! It used to work ok with Sky router but was just slow

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

Unless it's a gaming desktop with a stupidly equipped external antenna you are probably asking a lot of the THG3000 router with its own internal PCB etched antennas!

From memory there is at least one antenna that is a piece of wire taped diagonally across the inside of the case

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

Last suggestion would be to find and use a third party router that is renowned for it's WiFi range, but you'd still need to retain your VF router incase you ever need help from customer support!

As you are now on FTTP you would also lose the telephone service.

CrimsonLiar

@Jayach wrote:

From memory there is at least one antenna that is a piece of wire taped diagonally across the inside of the case.

Looking at the router teardowns online, that's a very directional set-up!  Just pointing the front of the router in a different direction could change the transmission pattern quite dramatically!

Jayach

Apparently it's got 7 antennae, 3 for 2.4Ghz and 4 for 5Ghz. (I'm sure I read that somewhere)