Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre broadband continually dropping.

Jrudge
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

We have had  fibre broadband for about 8 months. Faultless. Until Monday. 

The service dropped out. All lights on the back of the router off. Front would flash blue for a bit red for a bit and it might connect for a few seconds. If it did the WiFi light came on. Then flashing red internet. Then green. Then phone would follow.

on the phone to Vodafone. Lots of tests and inane requests to confirm xyz. It slightly recovered. Dropped again. On my 3 hour of calling they sent a new router. 

That arrived. Did not connect. On the phone. They got it going. Dropped. Call back. Some flag is missing. We reset the box. Eventually it works. 

until it drops. 

on the phone for hours. They send open reach even though their system says all is well. He can find no fault but changes the ont anyway. a few hours later. Off again. 

the ons has 4 lights. Service failure if always off. The lan light is off if I havd no internet and on if I do have internet. 

on the phone again tonight  they are now sending another Openreach engineer who they claim will deal with Vodafone kit ( I am sceptical ). 

on one of my many phone calls one guy in the U.K. said the blue flashing light was a box reset. Red was looking for internet. So something was forcing a reset. Bear in mind this is the second router so another fault is unlikely. 

he had me take the router off the ups and put into the wall. No change. There was a new Poe router in the rack. Turning that off seemed to make it work ( I thought ). So I took it out and sent it back via Amazon. It must have been luck as no change. Cables to the ons changed. 

so now I have all new kit. Open reach who say there is no problem. 

he suggested either an authentication issue or a cp link isssue ( don't know what this is ) both of which are down to Vodafone. 

sorry for the long post but without all the info helping will be tricky. 

any more ideas ? 

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Jrudge wrote:

The lan light is off if I havd no internet and on if I do have internet. 

This bit worries me, The LAN light simply signifies that you have a device connected to the ONT.

If that goes out it (presumably) means the router has disconnected. (or been powered off)

Just my two pennies worth.

Ripshod

Agreed with @Jayach. Thr router has been changed, the ONT has been changed. What about the ethernet cable between them? 

Morning. Yes the lead between then is a new cable as supplied with the new router. 

the router seems to be rebooting per comment of on of their WiFi experts given the blue flashing light. Any time we have no internet the lan light is off. The issue then is what is causing the reboot ? 

Ripshod

The only other two suspects then would be either the psu for the router, or the provisioning. Have you done a full full factory reset on the router to force reprovisioning (though this should have been suggested by the support agent(s))?

Edit: (stab in the dark) You could also try disabling IPv6 everywhere you find it on the router. 

Yes it has been factory set several times. The only non standard feature is the subnet is changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.30.1 as 1.1 conflicts with out UniFi network. Bear in mind this has been ok for 8 months. 

Ripshod

You have a new router, new ONT, and a new cable, and no red LOS light seen on the ONT(?). This really is perplexing.

Is it even possible to run just the router (without the unifi network) to see if you get any more resets. I know things haven't been changed, but sometimes they do without us noticing. 

Cynric

I don't suppose that the logs revealed anything?

Ripshod

As @Cynric just suggested, check the logs. Specifically look fo "ppp" or "chap". Best to download it, so you can apply filters and search for those terms. 

The psu is new with the router and the fault moved with the new router