Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast router 'system self' rebooting

british_bulldog
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone Gigafast broadband router is self starting at random points during the day.

This takes the network and telephone line down for a time while it resets.

The service has been solid and reliable for  months, and only had this problem for the last 2 weeks.

Nothing has changed in the last 2 weeks,.

I have logged a ticket, there are all sorts of suggestions around cat 5e cable from WAN to router (replaced, no effect) devices on my network causing the problem, at one stage even pointing the finger at my Apple watch !

I have two other Apple airport time machine routers connected via 1Gbit Ethernet with lots of devices (36+) plus door bell, cameras, speakers etc.. none of which has changed in months and all working previously with no issues. 

Latest advice is to unplug everything and slowly add things back in until I find the culprit, however this will take me between now and Christmas.

Memory usage on router seems to be high (80-90%) all the time. Status screen capture attached.

The question is, does anyone else have this problem where somehow a device on the network causes the router to 'system self start' ?

18 REPLIES 18

There are two of us (at least) in Milton Keynes who are having the same problem. There have been no dropouts for months and now, for the last few weeks, we have had several "System Self" Reboots a day.

I have had a new router (a THG3000 with 1004 F/W) from Vodafone Gigafast this week and my ONT was replaced by City Fibre yesterday, but I still got a "System Self" Reboot today.

(Sorry Moderator, I seem to have posted this twice and can't see how to delete this first post)

Vodafone Gigafast tech support have said that there are some reports of issues with Apple devices like iPhones. The advice is to update to the latest version of iOS, currently 13.1.3. I think there are still issues. Assuming you have an iPhone and updated iOS, I suggest you investigate the possibility that the phone is causing the reboots, by turning the phone's Wi-Fi off and then on again and see if the router reboots. Also I would reset the network settings on the phone under Settings>General>Reset - this means you'll need to connect to your router again using your Wi-Fi password. You can also turn off location services for Wi-FI Networking & Bluetooth under Settings>Privacy>Location Services>System Services - this may help. I'm cluching at straws here to be honest.

My router has been stable now for over 2 weeks, however. 

I now have a separate network that runs throughout my house using Apple Time Capsules and Netgear Gigabit router devices.

All my wired and wireless devices are connected to these routers, with just one single cat 6 cable connected from this separate network to my Vodafone router. 

This means that is there is an issue with Apple devices connecting to my Vodafone router then I have effectively removed this from the equation. 

I have added my topology picture as a file attachment. 

It may be worth geting hold of a cheap wireless router to test the theory that Vodafone routers crash with the latest iPhone devices. 

If you haven't got a VOIP service after a new router is sent to you, you need to get the new router "provisioned" on the Vodafone database against your account.

New routers are supposed to be ordered through a system that sorts everything out with the router depot programming your new modem then updating your account details with the new modem's serial number etc.

Unfortunately this system falls apart when Vodafone helpfully use a manual prcess to order your new router. This was explained to me by a call handler when he found my account didn't have the new router against it, so he had to have the phone updated with the VOIP information. This involved resetting the router to Factory Settings for 7 seconds, after which the updates were supposed to come through "within the hour". They didn't, but a second call to VF fixed it. 

darrenriddell
1: Seeker

I am having a similar problem. But what happens with mines is when I am running 2 xbox ones at the same time within 5-10 the router reboots. I have tried contacting Vodafone but there like impossible to get through too on the weekend. It has only been recently starting to do this more and more the last couple of weeks but before that it run smoothly. 

We'd hate to think this is impacting on your game time @darrenriddell 🎮 If you're still struggling to connect, pop us a message through Facebook or Twitter and one of our dedicated advisers will be able to look into this for you!

So I have this same issue with an Ultra Hub. Full fibre to premises. 

the router just connects to my UniFi network. It has no WiFi clients at all. 

they have replaced the router. Same. Open reach have changed the ons. Same. 

tomorrow they are sending me yet another route. 

it keeps rebooting and reboot self is the reason. 

I have now moved it 5 m from the server cabinet and turned off WiFi ( as we don't use it ). However it has been running fine for 8 months and given there have been 2 routers it is difficult to believe it it still a router issue ( but of course that's what it looks like. 

Vodafone claim to have no house call engineers which I find mind boggling. The people in Egypt are nice but just go through the same script time after time. I have no idea how to escalate to 2 nd or 3 re level support. 

any suggestions ?! 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Jrudge wrote:
Vodafone claim to have no house call engineers which I find mind boggling. The people in Egypt are nice but just go through the same script time after time. I have no idea how to escalate to 2 nd or 3 re level support. 

It is very unlikely any ISP using Openreach or CityFibre would have their own visiting engineers, that's what they pay the providers for.

As for escalation, you can't do it, it has to be 1st line. (once they have run out of script to follow)

Yes, it's an appalling way to provide support, but some bean counter somewhere has decided it's the cheapest way to do it.

Cynric

If there is a UK ISP that does provide it's own engineer support it's likely to be one of the expensive niche companies.