Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Intermittent packet loss

Nuuki
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My connection had been rock solid for a couple of years. I run a Unifi USG connected to a Vigor 130.

Then a couple of months ago it became very unstable - no obvious changes at my end, but it did coincide with a power cut in the area.

Long story short I had 3 BT engineering visits over a period of weeks - they claimed to find an issue on the Master Socket and replaced it. As of now the connection is better, but still problematic. Most of the time its fine, but intermittently (maybe every hour) it will seemingly drop traffic for about 5 seconds. This impacts real time use such as gaming, VoIP etc.

To help pinpoint the problem I stripped out my own equipment, and as of now I'm running the Vodafone router, double NAT'd to the USG. That way any broadband fault lies fully in Vodafone's responsibility, and if I want to test the line I can connect directly to the router.

The short outage period makes it quite hard to troubleshoot - I've had a monitor running via ThinkBroadband (here) for a day and that does seem to be confirming packet loss, which feels like progress. As that's hitting the router it must mean the issue is with the line itself, or the router. I'm inclined to think the former as I was having issues before, but I guess that could well have been a different issue (as it has improved since then).

Is there any value in me resetting the Vodafone router? I can if it genuinely might help, but it seems unlikely. I could swap the Vigor back in but that will involve a chunk of reconfiguration, and I'd really like to get the line working 100% with Vodafone equipment before I reintroduce my own modem. I'm sure Vodafone would send out another BT engineer but they've really not seemed equipped to identify intermittent issues like this - whether that's because I've had an inexperienced engineer (he was asking me my opinion a lot), or because they just aren't geared up with issues like this I don't know, but I assumed they'd have everything they would need to check the line thoroughly.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just to close this out, I did finally manage to track this down and resolve it.

As a final test, I moved the Vodasfone router back to the master socket (bypassing my internal cabling) and disconnected my LAN/wifi equipment from it. That put me back to a fully vanilla setup, which would make demanding a new router or BT escalation easier. Surprisingly the issue went away. Cue a lot of testing as I gradually re-added everything back to find the culprit.

In the end the issue turned out to be with my Ubiquiti Cloud Key, and with one of the controllers running on it specifically. Restarting that resolved the issue and its been stable ever since.

I'm still a bit unsure quite how this could have been causing the symptoms I was seeing, but there you go. Just happy to have it all working again.

View solution in original position

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

The first thing I'd do is to try and talk to the neighbours, to see if any of them are having the very same issue!

I can certainly ask. Sadly most of my close neighbours are fairly elderly or the houses have new tenants so I'm not super hopefully of getting too much useful info on what is a fairly subtle issue, but no harm in asking.

Anything else you think I could be doing to definitely eliminate any local issues?

Just to close this out, I did finally manage to track this down and resolve it.

As a final test, I moved the Vodasfone router back to the master socket (bypassing my internal cabling) and disconnected my LAN/wifi equipment from it. That put me back to a fully vanilla setup, which would make demanding a new router or BT escalation easier. Surprisingly the issue went away. Cue a lot of testing as I gradually re-added everything back to find the culprit.

In the end the issue turned out to be with my Ubiquiti Cloud Key, and with one of the controllers running on it specifically. Restarting that resolved the issue and its been stable ever since.

I'm still a bit unsure quite how this could have been causing the symptoms I was seeing, but there you go. Just happy to have it all working again.