Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet dropping out

leeroy221
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

So, i had this before when i was with Sky but not as bad, multiple times a day the internet connection just drops off and everything discinnects for a minute or so and connects again. This is both wired and wifi devices. The router has a green light flash on the wifi and internet part of the router and stays green once re-connected.

I have had multiple line tests conducted, a new test socket fitted (new one which has no test socket and built in filter) and open reach look at this a few times and they say there is no problem, much the same as Vodafone keep saying. So, why is this happening? I use my laptop for work and have a VPN, i know when the internet drops as the VPN goes and i have to log on each time. I has repositioned the router, changed cables etc. I have even bought a BT mini wifi home hotspot to connect my laptop to upstairs, this one is connected direct to the main router and plugged in, then the socket upstairs has another one plugged in and my laptop is wired to that, still the same.

I am at a loss with what to do as Openreach say everything is fine their side and Vodafone say everything is fine their side, yet i get multiple drop offs every day. Vodafone chat and phone just seem to want to line test all the time and thats all.

Working from home and having teams or skype meetings and dropping out all the time is not a very good impression to set hey. What can i do, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @leeroy221 - I understand this must be frustrating feeling like you've tried everything advised and still no joy, especially when working from home 🏘

I appreciate you have probably already done this from what you've said, but I would advise contacting us on social media so that we can check your line and see if we can get this raised as a fault.

Also, just to check in regards to the wired devices, have you tried alternative Ethernet cables?

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

No test socket?

BT OR sockets.png

A good quality MicroFilter is essential.

So a connection into the test socket is the first step.

If in doubt please ask.

Hi,

Yes, thats what the openreach guy said who installed it. I have the MK4 one there, one socket for ethernet cable and one for phone line. Take the face plate off and you only have the socket that the face plate goes into. The openreach guy said you can plug the phone line in there but obviously loose internet then, and they said its not a test socket. Perhaps they can do the line test that way but am i then expected to loose the internet for however long it takes?

Forgot to add, they also said that no filter is to be used on this one as its built in.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The filter is in the face plate, so when you take it off to use the test socket you have to use a plug-in filter.

The filter in the face plate can go faulty so using a plug-in one eliminates that possibility.

Hi Leeroy221,

Did you ever get this sorted?

I'm having the very same issue and not getting very far with Vodafone....as usual.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Jodie

Hi

AAaaahhhhhhhhhh!

clint_flick_0-1616763391078.png

Hopefully that is better targeted about the test socket for your Router, it will only take or test 1 device at a time IMHO.  The full story can be read below.....

https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/MK4VDSLNTE5Cinstructions.pdf

JdPyro
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Your issue is the exact same for me. Multiple calls with VF explaining the situation, being told its a cabling issue outside the property. To then be told by the "experts" it's my home setup. I change everything in the setup and still I get frequent drops. Side note, unusually specific times too! 1.30am every night without fail isn't a home setup issue!

My contract is over so looks like I'll be looking elsewhere

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 1.30am thing at the moment looks like engineering works!  I've been off for the last week and same time early hours I lose my ability to connect to any internet sites*.  It is an inability to connect though, the modem is still connected to the cabinet, and I'm still connected to either Vodafone's Manchester or sometimes Edinburgh data centre, but that's as far as the connection goes for about a minute!

So it does look like a Vodafone issue, which I hope is deliberate, because if it's not the muppets probably won't notice it for themselves for months!

Hi,

Update on my multiple drops a day.. Just some context, my contract has run out on a Superfast 2 deal and I'm being upsold the Pro broadband like crazy.. Make of that what you will!!

My router as been connected to the test socket for months and months, dealing with 1 drop a day pretty consistently until the past few months when they increased to 4-6 drops a day. I've taken my router out of the test socket, put the BT faceplate back on (BT MK3 vDSL faceplate) and connected straight into it using no separate microfilter. 

I did this on Thursday last week; no drops at all since then! Now this could be luck, it could have been a bad microfilter (I changed this multiple times so find this hard to believe) or it could be something more scumbaggy from VF's side. Dropping connection on out of contract Superfast users forcing them to think about the Pro broadband which has a backup 4G connection against broadband dropouts??? Too coincidental for me!!