Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 






Moving Cityfibre connection in my house to another room.

4: Newbie

Hi all,

I just had a really frustrating series of calls with VF and wanted to get some advice here.

I need to move the fibre connection sockets in my house to another room. They are currently in a home office that will be turning into a nursery for a baby so naturally I need all of that equipment moved.  When Cityfibre originally installed the connection they gave me a choice of rooms, one of them being where I want to relocate the connection to.

I spent an hour on the phone this morning with someone giving all the details over, they said it would be fine but someone would call me back. Someone from the Wi-Fi expert team just called and said they couldn't move the connection because it's already in the only suitable place in my house, I asked him where it was in my house and he didn't have a clue. He then said they can't move it now because it's not a nursery yet!! (mind-blowing) so I just said I obviously wanted to get it done before it became a nursery and if it helps I can just call it a nursery now. He then didn't really know what to say and just said they can't do it.

Has anyone got any advice? should I just contact Cityfibre directly?



Community Manager
Community Manager

@James3793  - I'm sorry you've had this experience on the call. Please call us again on either 191 free from a Vodafone mobile or 03333 040 191 from a different phone. When you do this, please advise it's in a baby's bedroom and it will be a potential hazard. They can then check this for you. 


Thanks Gemma. Is there a specific department I should talk to? Thanks.

Hey @James3793 When you call up, you'd just need to select the option to speak with our Broadband team. You'll then be routed to then directly and they'll be able to help you out. I hope everything get's sorted for you. 

4: Newbie

Hi Gemma, Calum.

Can I ask for some more assistance with this? I tried to call again today and spoke to someone who was helpful but could not help me. They called the broadband team and then the switch team but both departments were not prepared to talk to me and just said what I was asking for is out of scope.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I can understand how frustrating this would be @James3793. If our Broadband tach and switch teams are unable to help with moving the location your service enters your property, this maybe something you'll need to contact City fibre directly about. You can call them on 0800 0836160, or online via their contact us form. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I've not yet done any connects for cityfibre but I do know that having an ONT moved by openreach is chargeable. Who's going to pay? 

4: Newbie

I did try and call CityFibre last week but all of the options presented on the call seemed to direct callers to their website. It wasn’t possible to talk to anyone. I will try again this week.

There must be a way to get this done. Lots of people have home renovations or other home improvements where this would be necessary. 

Hi Mark, Gemma,

I managed to talk to CityFibre yesterday. 

Although they were helpful, they stated that there was no way they could help me.  They said that as Vodafone is a CityFibre customer and I am a Vodafone customer, this is something Vodafone would need to raise with CityFibre for me.

It feels like without help, my only option is to purchase another line into my house so I can get a line installed where I need it and then cancel the services of my existing line. This seems like a very awkward way of handing this situation. 

Can you help? 

16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@James3793 As the ONT to router connection is just plain ethernet move all your stuff except the ONT and run a cable to the new location. If the ONT is in a place you consider unsuitable then put a ventilated box (perhaps Perspex?) over it.