Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Moving Router to different location due to Building Works

Nas100
4: Newbie

Hi

Just trying to understand why Vodafone make it difficult to move the location of the main router to another room as currently having a house refurbishment and need the router to be moved from the back of the house to the front of the house due to building work being carried out to create a new Kitchen.  Spoke to Vodafone on this but they are not able to provide a date when a engineer can come out to move the router.  The builders are due to demolish the back end of the house on Wednesday which will result the cabling being destroyed and leave us with no internet until Vodafone get their act together.  Dealing with Vodafone has been very testing and made me think I should have stayed with Virgin media who were more efficient in booking engineers for such situations.  My main query is that has anyone else have this issue with Vodafone and do they know if I can use ap private company to complete the work and charge Vodafone.  I am still waiting for Vodafone to get back to me.

5 REPLIES 5

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It's not the router that needs moving, it's the Master socket and that is Openreach's responsibility (but Vodafone will need to contact them as they wont speak to mere mortals)

It is a chargeable service. Although not strictly allowed you could get someone else to do it. but obviously Vodafone wont pay.

Edit: there was a similar query recently: Vodafone are reluctant to get a Openreach Engineer... - Community home

Nas100
4: Newbie

Yes I need the master socket to be moved. It seems I will have to give the go ahead to builders to remove it tomorrow as this will hold up the build and cost more .  I am surprised Vodafone does not have an effective process in dealing with a such query.

Jayach

Vodafone doesn't have effective processes for dealing with anything, however in this case the major problem is that Openreach have run down the copper side of their operations, to focus on full fibre, and are really only concentrating on faults and breakdowns. That's why I said strictly you are not allowed to move it yourself (or get a contractor) but as most of the copper will be redundant in a few years they seem to be turning a blind eye.

Currently on full fibre. Customer service have told me City fibre will be in touch in 24 hours to arrange for engineer appointment.  Will wait to see if this happens as suspect it will take longer than that.

Jayach

Ah, my mistake, you hadn't said you were on CityFibre. Good luck getting them to do anything. Yes moving a fibre will be somewhat more difficult than copper. Does it come in underground or overhead?