Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Name of connected devices

msturdy77
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

A couple of queries about naming connected devices seem to suggest it wasn't easy or even possible. But all devices have a MAC address. Surely all that is needed is a simple lookup table? I don't mind if it only works on, say, my android phone or my laptop

5 REPLIES 5

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Unless things have changed it's not possible on the Vodafone routers.  Even on other routers, the easy way is often to use a "hosts" on the router, with hostnames pointing to manual/static local IP addresses rather than MAC addresses.

Is it possible to use the MAC address instead?  Yes, but it gets re-written should the router re-boot!

As for using hostnames, you can set up a hosts file on many of your devices, it's more cumbersome than having one central repository, but it will work!

Of course, if you have your own router you can then combine this with DDNS and have your local hosts directly addressable from the internet - subject to opening up the services and some serious security settings...

hosts.png

Cynric

.@msturdy77 you could, if inclined, try pihole as your local DNS proxy and DHCP server.

https://pi-hole.net/

I have done this and it's been working for over 2 years, It makes changing router much simpler too.

CrimsonLiar

@Cynric wrote:

.@msturdy77 you could, if inclined, try pihole as your local DNS proxy and DHCP server.

https://pi-hole.net/

I have done this and it's been working for over 2 years, It makes changing router much simpler too.

I'd back that up!  I used Pi-Hole for several years and setting up local hostnames linked to the MAC addresses is a doddle - much easier than messing with a hosts file in my current set-up! 

The first sentence in the first answer tells me all I need to know - it can't be done with a Vodafone router. The rest is all too technical for me and probably for many others who just want to be able to decipher their network map to use Device Boost. What is the point of Device Boost if you don't know what the devices are? We have a "smart" TV but I don't know which of the 9 "Other" devices it is, except it is not LAPTOP... nor either of the two amazon-... Three of the devices are just * Other. Only my HUAWEI_Mediapad... is sensibly identified.

Obviously only Vodafone can address this - does the community have any influence?

Jayach

The reason some devices don't have "sensible names" is because they are not providing one.(i.e. they have no host name)

You can give them one yourself in the routers interface

Jayach_0-1655729398928.png

But that isn't reflected in the app

Screenshot.jpg

So useless for what you want to do.