Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Openreach, Vigor 120 or Vigor 130?

krazylegz1
2: Seeker

Hi all last night i dug out an old ECI B-Focus V-2Fub modem and my old Netgear R6200 router. 

I had already got my username and password off VF and all worked ok, for all speedtests look to be a bit slower than theh THG3000 i replaced web pages on phones etc load up a lot quicker and my sky box hasn't lost connection either which it did frequently. 

Due to house being big and poor wifi signals still I took the plunge and ordered a Netgear Orbi RBK23 Mesh system (router and 2 satellites) so that should hopefully solve my wifi signals in different rooms. 

Whilst i am changing things there is a Draytek Vigor 120 for sale close by for next to nothing, is it worth getting it or getting the 130 or just sticking with the openreach modem i have? I have Superfast 2 if that makes any difference? 

4 REPLIES 4

krazylegz1

From reading up it see,ms the 120 will be no good as it does not support VDSL, so its either stick with the Openreach, 130 or 165?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unlocked BT ECI modems are pretty rare!  Don't get the Vigor 120 as has already been mentioned it's ADSL2 and won't handle VDSL2.

The big difference with the Vigor 130 is that you can tweak the SNR if you wish, getting extra download speed at the expense of upload speed (cabinet permitting).

If the ECI modem is working for you, then you may as well stick with it for now!

Thanks Keith, the eci modem is working but not unlocked. Just literally plugged in and reset it and it connected once I input my login details in the router. 

Was just wondering if the 130 would give me any faster speeds over the eci?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The overall speeds between the ECI modem and the Vigor 130 should be pretty similar as they run similar Lantiq based chipsets.

*I'm really surprised it works though as I'd been under the impression that they needed to be partially disassembled and then firmware flashed using a serial cable to enable operation with anything other than BT/TT!