Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Packet loss and ping spikes while playing games on pc for last 2 weeks

ayoubs220
4: Newbie

horrible eperience since about 3 months ago getting lag and ping spikes on any games played on all devices tested and on ethernet pc lag , ps5 lag all games fifa cod apex nothing connects properly i have a mtr here please can someone help i play cod tournaments daily for money and have to stream it and at the moment im losing hairs with vodafone they had 2 engineers in and no ones fixing anything 

ayoubs220_0-1696386290615.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ayoubs220

well i was right ipaddress / routing issue requested an ip change and no more spikes or dropped packets on any hops seems i was correct on my hunch and hope all the tech people working at voda who kept telling me oh its not the ip thats not how it works see this lmao ( ANY 1 COMING ACROSS THIS WITH SAME ISSUE RESET UR DSL OPTION ON THE ROUTER IF YOUR DYNAMIC TILL YOUR ASSIGNED AN IP THAT SHOWS NO SIGNS OF BIG SPIKES AND IF UR STATIC CALL VODAFONE AND REQUEST A NEW STATIC IP :Smiling:

View solution in original position

48 REPLIES 48

ayoubs220

vodafone have factory reset my router and apparently doing something I called them as soon as I played today connection started ping spiking in games from 10-40 and packet loss again I've now set up a new monitor going to see what it's like the next 2 days doubt whatever they did fixed jack www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2baae42f2a36a502b84f152ea9a643234d6cb227

Jayach
16: Advanced member

I did wonder why the previous TBQM "bombed out".

As you are using Ethernet for your gaming, have you tried disabling the Wi-Fi in the Vodafone router, and having nothing but the PC you game on connected to the Vodafone router, and seeing how it performs then?

hi yeah im on ethernet now and so is the ps5 and other pc tried all devices connected alone about 3 weeks ago and same thing and also been having ping spikes last few hours , about to stream and play again now hoping it can cope , im pretty sure they just factory reset , can i mention there was times when i was dynamic ip that it worked perfect but it was only with specific ips i was assigned and then when they would change back to the bad connection so they gave me a static and well it aint stopped since i honestly think its a routing issue no as when i was dynamic when the ip changed would how they route me to my destination change and sometimes they would get it right or am i just clutching at straws

Jayach

From what you say, if your problems have gone on for so long, and Vodafone have the records to confirm it, have you not pushed to be allowed to leave penalty free?

I would personally prefer to try to cure a problem, but sometimes you just have to give up and start again.

i have not as i thought it could be resolved as my first 3-4monoths with vodafone was fine i could play stream keep a stable 10ms in all games on eu servers and have people use wifi at home no problem so i thought we could get it sorted but no i will be calling on monday morning to leave penalty free as they have my history.

I'll suggest to try with a 3rd party router, because on my case , fixed the problems with dropping out and speed. Since last update, the Vodafone WiFi hub (THG3000 ) give me headaches with no solution from the technical team.

Jayach

@ayoubs220 

Your BQM has been up for a full 24 hours, and although the line appears to have been pretty busy, there have been almost no dropped packets, which does rather point back to your end. Any idea what could have caused the "blip" about 4am?

Any chance you could try with a 3rd party router, as suggested by @Dany07rap?

i was in a online cod game at 4am while streaming it i was getting packet loss of about 3% in the game a ping spike in intervals of about 5ms, yeah to rule out my devices I've tried 2 pcs and a ps5 all same behaviour , yeah might be worth a shot but im waiting on a email about fttp that could be here very soon 

Cynric

Does 5ms (five one thoundandths) of a second really make such a difference? I've been playing online games for years and have never noticed.

yes unfortunately a big difference i would rather play on a 90ms stable connection to a game rather than to load in at 10ms and it fluctuate between 10 and 40 in a matter of seconds it almost like desync what's happening i go to do something at the same time the ping goes up with a spike of say 10ms and what i did either lags then happens or stutters or i have to press again very very rubbish