Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

htyaH

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

@htyaH wrote:

IM BACK ON LONDON!!! NOT BRACKNELL! LONDON! PLEASE BE THE LAST CHANGE!

Did this happen automatically in the background, or did you reconnect using the router? Curious!

The connection went down for like 5-10 mins then I started seeing I was consistently being routed a certain way. Now I have a static IP applied and it's showing London as the location so I'm hoping it stays like this.

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Everything is much the same. If everyone else is back to a sensible route then I may ask about changing my IP.

Screenshot_2022-07-16-19-49-45-79_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg

Sadly, I'm in the same boat as you. No change.

I'm going to try and give it more time on dynamic IP. 

htyaH

I'm 100% a static IP will keep you locked onto the wrong BNG

CrimsonLiar

Whether you have a dynamic IP or a static IP, it's still mapped to a virtual port.  All that changes is the allocation method!

*If I do end up with an IP that has previously been allocated to a compromised machine I can fix that in under 30 seconds!  Using a separate router and modem I can have the router drop and then re-establish the connection, without the modem needing to drop its connection to the cabinet!  For those on FTTP it's even easier.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in Coventry mostly using the Vodafone Watford server for speed tests. Until a couple of days ago my static ip gave me latency <8ms and a nice symmetrical 940Mb 24/7. Recently latency is >12ms. A trace route shows me routed via Leeds, for example. A reverse trace route showed me routed via Iceland, but that is another story lol. 

Here's my most recent traceroute.  Normally those figures would be around 6ms with 9ms as an outlier. 

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms GT-AX11000-CBB0 [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 90.246.0.1   (Leeds) 
3 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms 63.130.104.202
4 12 ms 11 ms 22 ms 90.255.251.37  (What is this one?) 
5 11 ms 11 ms 11 ms 162.158.32.11
6 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

Trace complete.

Here's my latest TBB quality monitor. My average latency is clearly above 10ms

Screenshot 2022-07-17 152423.jpg

Here's may last good graph from 11.7.22 

Screenshot 2022-07-17 152827.jpg

Ripshod

Apparently 90.255.251.37 is described in arin as

route:          90.255.0.0/16
descr:          BIGFELLA_P11C-SOUTH
origin:         AS5378
mnt-by:         BDDSL-MNT
created:        2015-09-11T14:05:58Z
last-modified:  2015-09-11T14:05:59Z
source:         RIPE

BIGFELLA again. A lot of links to southern regions exit there. Then it goes via cloudflare to 1.1.1.1. I don't know how many dns servers are served via cloudflare, but it would explain the failures when cloudflare goes down

Just to update my situation now. Spoke to an agent on TOBI about fixed routing via Leeds. They couldn't actually do that but they've passed me an 0808 number to call in the morning. Everything we discussed is noted in my account so I should get this resolved pretty quickly now. Fingers crossed ey! 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote: 
Just to update my situation now. Spoke to an agent on TOBI about fixed routing via Leeds. They couldn't actually do that but they've passed me an 0808 number to call in the morning. Everything we discussed is noted in my account so I should get this resolved pretty quickly now. Fingers crossed ey! 

Lets just hope, whoever you get through to, can be bothered to read the notes. 🤞

@Jayach wrote:

@Ripshod wrote: 

Lets just hope, whoever you get through to, can be bothered to read the notes. 🤞

They certainly didn't bother taking any action from mine...!

Ripshod

After a long chat (nearly 2 hours) with "Mike" in Egypt all we managed to get done is to remove my static IP. That went live last night and I am on a dynamic IP and............. Still connected via Edinburgh.

Mike is calling me this morning to see if it's fixed and if there's anything else he can do to fix this - I'm not hopeful at all.

My advice is, if you're struggling with this issue there's absolutely nothing you can do about it other than to keep this thread active by posting. Something needs to be done about what is clearly a routing issue.