Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ping/Latency way higher Gigafast 900

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

I used to get 5ms ping to London (from Coventry), now I am being auto connected to Edinburugh and I get 15 ping to there, when I try to speedtest to London or even right next to me in Leicester I am getting pings above 22...I called in and they just said "they added new servers and there's nothing much we can do"...

any help?

768 REPLIES 768

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

I'm surprised they don't have a BNG nearer to Coventry like Birmingham. They seem to have them in Scotland, North England and South England. Surely there's something in the Midlands!

After waiting over 40 minutes to get through, the wifi experts team confirmed there's a CityFibre related outage in my area which I think ties in with the CityFibre incident to do with multiple circuits - core network issue. I'll wait for them to resolve it, I'm thankful I have 4G backup up and running for the time being. 

I just have to hope I don't return to the 'wrong' BNG when the service is restored!

Actually the day my service was restored I was back on Edinbrugh, it wasn't until 1am that it disconnected and went back to the correct one. Honestly if I were you I wouldn't check it too much, from my experience getting really happy about finally having proper routing then a few hours later it disconnects and back on good old Scotland leaves you feeling disappointed. Just know that it will fix very soon.

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

This is really winding me up now.

We'd agreed for the 2nd line HBB support techs to call me any day after 3pm. At 12.31pm They rang me in the middle of an important meeting, I tried explaining it was inconvenient and told the guy to ring back after 3pm as agreed, But I couldn't understand a word he said with his thick eastern accent (it was so bad I couldn't tell if he was indian or not). Then I got a text saying they tried to get in touch with me and to call them.

They can't stick to agreed times, no native english speakers, and I'm having to chase them again.

I want to speak to someone english, in england, that can actually do something. Ping is now 32ms and download is 16Mbps. My voip phone is unusable and often fails to connect due to timeouts and I've had to turn wifi calling off.

Untitled.png

It looks like CF have identified the issue and have put in place a temporary workaround to restore service, so things are working again. Luckily, I have stayed on the same BNG. Phew. Very very tiny increase in latency presumably due to the temporary workaround, BUT - it's still much better than the 20ms I saw previously. 

Gerry_Atric_0-1658501171531.png

@Ripshod wrote:

This is really winding me up now.

We'd agreed for the 2nd line HBB support techs to call me any day after 3pm. At 12.31pm They rang me in the middle of an important meeting, I tried explaining it was inconvenient and told the guy to ring back after 3pm as agreed, But I couldn't understand a word he said with his thick eastern accent (it was so bad I couldn't tell if he was indian or not). Then I got a text saying they tried to get in touch with me and to call them.

They can't stick to agreed times, no native english speakers, and I'm having to chase them again.

I want to speak to someone english, in england, that can actually do something. Ping is now 32ms and download is 16Mbps. My voip phone is unusable and often fails to connect due to timeouts and I've had to turn wifi calling off.

Untitled.png

This sounds far more than just a routing issue. It's almost as if you may have a dirty fibre connection somewhere or maybe a faulty card on top of being on the wrong BNG. It might be worth raising a formal complaint the next time you speak to an agent as you seem to be hitting roadblocks all the time as I was. 

Ripshod

If I do a speedtest to the vodafone Edinburgh server I get full speed and 11ms ping. But that's not realistic usage at all. Nothing wrong with my connection, just the routing is totally hashed up.

As a comparison I've just done a quick speedtest over 4g to the same York server. 

Screenshot_2022-07-22-16-06-09-67_79d0ff8f9752a3fc32487e6d62330a6a.jpg

Ripshod

And now I enter the weird world of 3rd line support. I've got to gather some evidential screenshots at various time tomorrow and forward them so they can be passed on. They reset my router twice today so it's been another round of setting fixed IPs and mac filters.

Does it really need to go this far for someone to press a few buttons?

Ironically the lass I was chatting with didn't understand what a gateway was until I explained it was a broadband network gateway (BNG)

Jayach

It is completely ludicrous. If it has been decided the problem needs to go to 3rd line, to not allow them to speak to the "horses mouth" is madness. Working through 2nd line is just "Chinese whispers". It will never work.

Ripshod

Last night I played the Geolocation game. Out of six sites four hag me in Glasgow and two in Belfast. As you may remember I'm only 10 miles from Leeds. 

I have a feeling they may either be running out of IP addresses (possible with nearly 8 million clients), or as mentioned earlier their database is shot. Either way roll on Ipv6 - more games to play.

CGNAT - does not work for the clients unless it's targeted to the clients' actual location and they're physically close together. It may be a great work-around for Isp's but it's time to start working for the clients vodafone. If all this gets written up on just a few review sites you could lose a lot of future customers. Lucky that there are so many patient clients here willing to help you work this out.

[/rant] 

Vodafone really need a service status page for broadband. I'm on the second outage now to do with a faulty card at CityFibre's FEX in Slough and have had to rely on their network status page for updates. I also get emails too.

The only update I got from Vodafone to confirm that there was an outage was when I called the wifi experts team and had to wait 40 minutes! A service status page/text messages/email service would drastically reduce calls to their agents.

Let's have better communications, including ones to cover the IP address allocation mess. 

Ripshod

@Gerry_Atric wrote:

Let's have better communications, including ones to cover the IP address allocation mess. 

Hear hear!! Common sense prevails.