cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Receiving compensation from Vodafone (no internet)

User110920
4: Newbie

This morning I woke up and my fibre connection was disconnected.  According to Vodafone this is due to work being performed by Openreach. We were not warned in advance of any disconnection or planned maintenance. It is already 14:30 and the connection still has not been restored. This is not the first time this has happened. I work from home and had 4 hours of Zoom meetings so far today. I had to purchase a temporary mobile data plan for 25GBP. I should be compensating for this cost incurred. Vodafone keep telling me that the solution to this is to use Vodafone as my mobile provider. However, I do not wish to use Vodafone as my mobile phone provider. How do I claim compensation?

3 REPLIES 3

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @User110920! If your Open Reach broadband services go down, we have two days to restore the connection or you'll be automatically compensated on your next bill. If you did have a Vodafone Mobile on your account with us, we'd be able to add our Stay Connected data to ensure that you're not using your data to hotspot devices in the meantime.

Alternatively, our Pro plans include a 4G dongle backup that automatically kicks in if the service goes down so you're never without service 🙂

Why should I have a Vodafone mobile on my account? I use Lebara since it offers better roaming abroad and generally a better plan to suit my needs. Every time this happens, which is every few months, I get a sales pitch from Vodafone telling me to use your mobile services. The last time this happened (and the previous time and three previous time before that) I suggested that Vodafone provide me with a data sim that activates whenever the fibre goes down. But no, in each instance you refuse and instead tell me to pay for a data plan.

It appears that Vodafone knew about the works due to be carried out by Openreach. Openreach will only talk directly with you the broadband provider and you're supposed to inform me when there will be a disruption but you never do. Instead, I get 12 hours of disrupted service with absolutely no prior notice. I had four hours of Zoom meetings today and had to upgrade my data plan which cost me 25gbp. Thank you Vodafone.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

If you have had 5 outages due to Openreach, there is not much Vodafone can do about that.

If you are in an FTTC only area, then presumably all your neighbours are suffering the same, as all the ISPs will be using Openreach.