Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sky Q Connection Drop

Cranester1983
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi there,

had 500mb Vodafone fibre pro broadband installed. 
super quick - everything works great… except Sky Q!

I can connect the box to the route and I get two ticks for a few seconds and then it drops and won’t reconnect. 

have tried:

1. Software update on sky box

2. rebooting sky box and resetting network connection (several times!)

3. Rebooting router

4. changing dns settings to 8.8.8.8 

was going to try splitting my channels to see if that helps but can’t seem to do it with this router. Same goes for updating router firmware - keep getting an error message when trying to do that too. 

is there anything I’m missing that I haven’t tried? Driving me nuts! Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6

wozza47716
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm sorry to inform you, you have made a massive mistake. Vodafone broadband simply doesn't work correctly with sky. The router will disconnect your sky box at random, sometimes every few minutes, making it impossible to use the interactive services. It does the same with Alexa devices as well. For no obvious reason, when the router wants to kick a device it will. 

Don't bother asking Vodafone for help, they'll make you jump through hoops, and nothing will change. Do a google search & you'll find this is a big problem, that Vodafone won't address. I'm just sitting out my contract and then I'll get shot, unfortunately I have 12 months still remainig.

VFbroadbanduser
10: Established
10: Established

Cranester1983, the reason this happens is because the Sky Q box is a mesh networking device that links to other Sky Q boxes and their router. What is happening is they broadcasting on the same channel as the Vodafone router. Sky Q has to always be set so the SSID's are combined.

What you need to do is change the channels on the Vodafone router by following this thread here:-

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Can-I-change-my-home-broadband-channel/td-p/... 

I have posted instructions on how to do this on my post on 5/8/21 at 01:44pm. Vodafone have actually taken the functionality out of both the router GUI and the Vodafone Broadband app to change the frequencies manually. What you will need is an Android device to load an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app on, so you can set the wi-fi channels to a manual frequency to use different channels to what the Sky Q box is using. 

Wozza4716, you are also completely wrong about Alexa devices they connect fine to the THG3000, I have 3 Alexa devices at home. What you need to do is reconfigure your Vodafone router in the GUI and split the SSID's into a 2.4Ghz network and a 5Ghz network. I have all my 3 devices setup on the Guest Network as they only require an internet connection and not a connection to the rest of the local LAN and then connect them all on the 5Ghz network.

@VFbroadbanduser wrote:

Wozza4716, you are also completely wrong about Alexa devices they connect fine to the THG3000, I have 3 Alexa devices at home. What you need to do is reconfigure your Vodafone router in the GUI and split the SSID's into a 2.4Ghz network and a 5Ghz network. I have all my 3 devices setup on the Guest Network as they only require an internet connection and not a connection to the rest of the local LAN and then connect them all on the 5Ghz network.

I also agree @wozza47716 is completely wrong about Alexa devices. I have 5 around the house, streaming music pretty much continually, and have no problems, and I haven't needed to split the WiFi bands. 

I don't have Sky Q, but I believe the problem is that without the Q router the box has to use the 2.4Ghz band, which does seem particularly poor on the THG3000.

Believe me, I have tried everything you said, splitting channels etc... nothing fixes the problems. Besides I shouldn't have to do anything, I pay Vodafone for home broadband, they should provide it.

Additionally, the router routinely kicks my phone and laptop from the network, I have to flip wifi off and on to get a connection. Not so easy to do with multiple Alexa devices & Sky.

I'll elaborate, 

I have 2 Sky Q boxes (main & mini),

4 Amazon Echoes,

1 laptop, 1 Nintendo Switch, 2 Smart TVs,

& 2 mobile phones.

All of them experience connection problems, sometimes a few times a week, sometimes every few minutes.

I have tried everything I can find online and everything Vodafone suggest... Nothing fixes the problem. 

I have had Sky broadband & BT in the past with no issues.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@wozza47716

Perhaps you have a faulty THG3000?.

Have you considered getting your own router? (Yes I know you shouldn't have to, but if it gets rid of all those problems it may be worth it.).