Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stuttering on new fibre connection

robertkent87
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

I had a new fibre connection installed on Monday. The engineer accidentally kinked the cable and thought he might have broken it, but a connection test showed it seemed to be fine.

However, although I can connect to the internet and speed tests show it is faster, I have been experiencing intermittent stuttering when watching streaming videos. This appears to affect different sources (Disney+ and YouTube) and different devices, whether using a wifi connection or a wired ethernet connection. Vodafone's own Broadband Service Test reports no errors with the line but it is really noticeable when watching a film and it'll pause for half a second - especially if I rewind and there is no issue with the video. What is also strange is that some videos play fine and yet other will stutter. Sometimes an 11 minute video will have a stutter, sometimes a 40 minute video will.

It's hard to understand what's going on, especially when a bunch of tests show no issues with the connection yet I feel I'm going mad seeing stutters in videos that never happened before and don't happen if I rewind the section.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on and/or what I can do about it?

12 REPLIES 12

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The thing with fibre optics is if the fibre is damaged you will either have a connection or you won't, there's no intermittent about it.

I'd have a good look around these forums to see if there's a buffering thread that you can relate to.

Could you possibly post a results of a test at speedtest.net and a traceroute to bbc.com?

14517109312.png

robertkent87_0-1679577840974.png

This doesn't seem right

6af7dd7850b9a8c13be4547f43cd188ac5f34e42-23-03-2023.png

Ripshod

2 ms ping to the speedtest sever - you've got to be sat in the Edinburgh server room lol

As far as your connection goes there's no indication of a problem.

I'll have to wait for the image in your second post to be moderated to see what doesn't seem right. 

Ripshod

"This can't be right" - check the ip and enable pings on the router. . 

Jayach

Yes, allow ping in the router's interface, 

Jayach_0-1679704106424.png

Hmm, I have that turned on now but the Think Broadband chart doesn't look right still:

robertkent87_0-1679997150721.pngrobertkent87_1-1679997188776.png

Jayach

Did you click "apply" after changing the toggle? Is that definitely your current I.P address.? I'm getting no response from it.

I think that's the wrong IP address - I used an IP of a device on my network when I guess it's meant to be the router's IP? How do I get that?