Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 Router VDSL Username and Password Configuration

Delta10
4: Newbie

I have just signed up for Vodafone Superfast 1 broadband  ( pointless paying for Superfast 2 as the local network can not support the full 35 Mbps speed of Superfast 1 ). The connection date is nearly 4 weeks ahead.

Before signing up I discussed on the phone including the router delivery. I was told this will be using DPD.

The bottom line is nobody will be able to receive it so I will have to divert to local drop-off and collect.

Given the router is only sent out just before the changeover date I may not get to collect it for several days.

I also disccussed and was confirmed that Vodafone will supply the username and password for another router. Hence I purchased and have just received a THG3000 to use initially and as a spare. However even in Expert Mode I can not see where to change the username and password. Am I just missing this or have I made a mistake buying a THG3000 ? In hindsight is it why they sell so cheap ?

My current router is Plusnet which I understand can not be configured for Vodafone - correct ?

The same applies to Talktalk routers ?

I think I also have a Sky Hub 1 but can not recall if ADSL or VDSL. Can that be configured for Vodafone ?

I would appreciate suggestions for cheap router, an ISP one is fine, from eBay that will work with Vodafone Superfast 1.

Thanks in advance.

27 REPLIES 27

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If worse case on the BT/Openreach checker is 50 and you are getting 22 then there is something seriously wrong.

However the fact you are using an extension on the DSL cable could easily account for that. When you do a test with it directly to the master socket, use the test socket (if you have one). You will be looking for a increased speed or increased SNR as it's possible DSL has reduced your speed because of the extension, but an increase in the SNR will mean it can recover in time.

Post your DSL stats before you do the test and again after the test. Not sure how the PlusNet router shows them, but on Vodafone it looks like this:

Line Quality

Downstream Upstream
Current Rate77448 kbps20000 kbps
Maximum Rate78624 kbps28687 kbps
Signal-to-Noise Ratio5.2 dB11.5 dB
AttenuationDS1 9.0 dB, DS2 21.6 dB, DS3 33.7 dBUS0 2.0 dB, US1 14.9 dB, US2 24.0 dB

The seller was a bit slow on sending the THG3000 out, it was only posted yesterday, but hopefully will be here soon. The fact the Post Office workers were on strike today won't have helped.

You can see what my sync speed are above, and here is my checker results: 

Jayach_0-1651621062087.png

And on that I get an actual download speed of approx. 70Mbs.

CrimsonLiar

*you are never going to get 50Mbps on Superfast 1, though you should be getting more than you are.  Remembering if you've been rebooting the router loads, or plugging and unplugging you may have triggered DLM - which could stay even if you changed ISP!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

*you are never going to get 50Mbps on Superfast 1, though you should be getting more than you are.  

If the BT/Openreach checker says 50Mbs as a worst case, the OP should expect the Max for Superfast 1, which I believe is 40Mbs, that should result in download speeds of approx. 35Mbs..

@Delta10, If you could post your checker results we may be able to estimate what you can expect more accurately.

Also, when you signed up, you should have been given an estimate of speed and a guaranteed minimum, what were they?

@Jayach, @CrimsonLiar 

I am currently on the Plusnet equivalent of Vodafone Superfast 1 so indeed can not theoretically expect above 35 Mbps and realistically less. Three years ago I recall Plusnet said at least 25 Mbps. When I signed up Vodafone said 16.x which is what alterted me to the drop.

I have not looked at router at all, just run a couple of speed checks from the browser. I connected the laptop with a cable but little difference to Wi-fi as less than 2m away.  When I check direct to my wall socket it will just be the router connected.

I have just been to the BT whole site again and ( hopefully) have attached the report. This is using address checker as number checker not working. Maybe I wrongly read it but I thought at the weekend the results were faster. I can check again.

BTWholesale_22-05-04.png

Jayach

@Delta10 wrote:

When I check direct to my wall socket it will just be the router connected.

It will be better to use the test socket (especially if you have any extension sockets) to completely eliminate any problems at your end.

Jayach

Now your checker results have been moderated, I would be most surprised if it wasn't possible to get a sync of 40Mbs on that line. (although the address checker is usually less accurate than the phone number one.) Here are my phone number and address results to compare.

Edit, I deleted the pictures as they had exactly the same results, but they never used to. I hadn't used the address checker for awhile and they must have updated it.

@CrimsonLiar 

@Jayach 

This is what I did earlier. Disconnect plug from BT master socket so nothing connected all to incoming cable as house wiring is all from the plug. Connect router to BT master socket with short cable only, microfilter not fitted. Connect router to laptop with LAN cable, turn off wi-fi on laptop. Nothing else connected to router.

I did three tests but all very similar result for download, a bigger difference for upload and ping. BT speed test.pngspeed test which.png

speed test dot net.png

This shows the effect of house wiring to be minimal.

As posted before the best speeds have I seen are just under 25 Mbps.

I tried BT Broadband Wholesale again. From address the same speeds, phone number not working - maybe because the transfer is booked ? The check gives the cabinet number but is there any way to identify where it is located ?

Back to when I had regular dropouts last year mostly I did nothing, just waited for the router to connect again. If a second dropout very soon after then turn off router and shutdown computer, wait a few minutes, turn on router, restart computer.

Should this have triggered DLM how would this be reset ? Contact Vodafone to contact Openreach ?

Jayach

@Delta10 wrote:

@CrimsonLiar 

@Jayach 

This is what I did earlier. Disconnect plug from BT master socket so nothing connected all to incoming cable as house wiring is all from the plug. Connect router to BT master socket with short cable only, microfilter not fitted.

Pictures have not been moderated yet.

If you were able to connect without a filter then presumably you have a pre-filtered socket. You really have to use the test socket socket to be sure you are eliminating your home wiring, but it will need a filter to do so. We really need to know the DSL stats, a simple speed test tells us very little.

Take a look here and let us know what type of master socket you have. What type of master socket have I got? | BT Help

@Jayach 

The master socket looks like the picture attached from long before home internet ever existed. Just a single socket nothing else, nothing except incoming cable hard wired to it. I don't have any test connector.

I did not use microfilter so as to eliminate given no phone connected. I thought the only reason for a microfilter was to block the internet ' noise ' from the phone i.e. internet signal is just pass-through. The attached circuits while all slightly different for the phone connection show this.

With home wiring connected then the socket the router is into has a microfilter as also DECT phone base and the basic phone to the master socket via plug-in splitter has a microfilter. So to be sure I have explained this correctly normally two microfilters on incoming line but only one microfilter between master socket and router not two.

BT socket.png

ADSL_filter_circuit.pngADSL_filter_schematic.pngMicro-filter circuit.png

Jayach

Your pictures have not been moderated yet, but I'm pretty sure the problem will be your home wiring.

If you have extension sockets then they will still be wired with the "bell" (or ring) connected. That plays havoc with the internet signal as it acts as a long aerial and causes noise on the line.

When you get the installation done tell the engineer that you don't have a test socket and he will replace the master socket.

A quick fix in the meantime would be to open the master socket and snip off the wire on connecter 3 as that is the bell wire. (signal wires are 2&5)

Most modern phones no longer need it to ring. (If you google "remove bell wire" you should find lots of information)

On another note the THG3000 has arrived, but I have to go out today, but will try it later this evening.