Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

TP-Link TD-W8970

mrdwh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have tried on several occasions to connect a new TP-Link TD-W8970 modem router to replace the one Vodafone sent a couple of years ago (which works ok but wifi is very un reliable even when in range). I go through the quick setup just past the time zone question and go for autodetect network settings and consistently get "Check Network settings" or talk to Vodafone. Is this router compatible? Thanks in advance. David

6 REPLIES 6

Jayach
16: Advanced member

It certainly should be, but it is only wireless n so may not be much of an improvement.

You don't mention you have got your username and password from Vodafone. You won't be able to connect without that.

Jayach

This YouTube video is for a different TP-Link router, but I suspect the steps should be the same.

How to configure a TP Link TD-W9970 for VDSL Settings - YouTube

If you haven't got your username and password yet, live chat is probably the easiest way to get them. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

Many thanks, I have checked the username and password with them and they were correct, but still no joy. Also I have seen the youtube videos and followed the instructions, no difference. So am at a loss.

Try Vlan 911. It works for me in Milton Keynes.

The VF router is terribly castrated and causing me no end of trouble trying to get an alternative solution that gives me back WOL and MAC/IP binding with all that goes with a decent OpenWRT firmware.

Jayach

@round2it wrote:

Try Vlan 911. It works for me in Milton Keynes.

That would surely be for Gigafast (FTTP), and I assume the O.P. is on Superfast (FTTC).

@mrdwh I have just realised, as I was composing this reply, that the TD-W8970 is an ADSL modem,

It will never work on VDSL. Sorry I didn't realise it earlier, but there are so few ADSL only routers about now.

Edit: If you have had the Vodafone router for a couple of years you probably have the old HHG2500 router. Presumably you are now out of contract so call Vodafone and tell them the WiFi is failing and see if you can get the newer THG3000 router out of them. It may need you to take out a new contract to get it.

Thanks for all the help everybody @Jayach I will get back on to Vodafone chat and see if they will send me a THG3000. Thanks again.