cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to connect on VOIP, Online Games, or VPN. Browsing and Streaming are fine

domsals
2: Seeker

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this....

Since I joined Vodafone broadband ~12 months ago I have been having sporadic connection issues. These were few and far between until the last 7 days or so where it is extremely noticeable. Essentially, I have no problem with browsing the web, downloads, streaming content. That all works fine. What I have issues is with connecting to servers.

I am constantly unable to connect Discord voice servers ('RTC Connecting, no route, etc.'), Online games cannot connect, and most annoyingly my VPNs do not work. This has become a problem, as it is preventing me from working from home during COVID-19 lockdown.

I have confirmed this issue exists across machines, happening both on my personal desktop, and my work laptop at the same time.

I have tried:

• pulling socketplate off the wall and using the DSL microfilter directly to the route (Vodafones advice over chat)
  • Changing DNS addresses for IPv4 (no IPv6 supported)
  • Resetting Router + Machines multiple times
  • Disabling Anti-virus
  • Forwarding Ports for the online games
  • reset/renewing IPconfig

NOTHING has worked. I just have to wait for it to magically resolve itself each time, which is random. I am pretty sure it has to be either the line itself or the router, so I am waiting to receive a non-VF one to test - but I am open to any suggestions anyone has!

Cheers
Dom

2 REPLIES 2

domsals

To add to this further, this affects devices both on Wi-Fi and ethernet connections.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So can we assume that you've also changed the DNS servers you use and that you not set up any of the services you use to think you have a static IP rather than a Dynamic IP.  

If you've not changed the DNS servers then personally I'd set the primary to Cloudflare on 1.1.1.1 and the secondary to google on 8.8.4.4

As for giving your local address to services I'd maybe set up DDNS with the likes of No-IP or similar.