Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upgrading/Switching Account with a Vodafone Hub

jaboda
4: Newbie

I have just upgraded from Vodafone FTTC to FTTP. I thought I'd share my experience as it might help others.

Vodafone didn't send me a new router which was fine with me as I use my own router anyway (Asus Aimesh - very good especially for the price).

When using your own router you need to get the DSL username and password from Vodafone. When upgrading this changes. Confusingly the old one still works until midnight that day. Additionally if you connect with the old one (as I did) it works until the router next reconnects. Chances are this will be at an inconvenient time...

I thought I'd test the Vodafone Hub as I like to have a backup and wanted to see if the phone worked (which seems to only be compatible with their Hub).

As far as I can tell when the Vodafone Hub first connects it briefly connects to a special DSL account to download the username and password for your account (which is linked by serial number). The router then uses this account.

To run this process again you have to reset the Vodafone Hub using a pin in the rest hole - using the web interface won't do it.

In my case the router kept using the old account, which after the first day didn't work.

Even when I contacted Vodafone and they updated it the Hub didn't get the new settings until 6 days after the new line was installed - the day after Vodafone said the job was marked as completed.

Maybe it would've happened differently if I used the router permanently but it does seem the process is not fool proof. My Asus, on the other hand, clearly stated I had the wrong username/password which took a second to update when I got it from Vodafone (which didn't take a second).

Hope this helps anyone who has a similar issue.

I'd suggest that Vodafone update the router so that the DSL account details (and VOIP details) are displayed for those of us who don't use it, so we don't need to wait on hold to Vodafone for ages.

Also a way to update the details if they haven't downloaded correctly would probably be useful for people who don't use third party kit.

1 REPLY 1

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Thanks for letting us know your experience on swapping from FTTC to FTTP. I have to say I am surprised that a different username and password was required.