Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Use ASUS Zen WiFi XT8 with Gigacube

Skausr
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi I currently use a ASUS Zen WiFi XT8 to boost the wifi signal around the house. Can I get the gigacube to provide the broadband to the gigacube?

3 REPLIES 3

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Realistically with the Gigacube depending on mobile networks, I only ever consider it if there are no better options!

Slightly complicated, as you'd need to set up on XT8 as an access point and then add the second XT8 as an AiMesh node to it.  It's not as straightforward as it ought to be, and when you add the second XT8 I'd initially put it next to the first and connect a cable from a LAN port on the unit connected to the gigacube to the WAN port on the unit that is going to be a pure mesh unit - it'll take a while to transfer the settings, but once it's done you won't need the cable between the two XT8's.

*Best to use the "Asus extender" app, while it should work the odds of it being plain sailing are from my experience only about 25%!

Thanks for your message. 

I'm only really considering it as I need fast broadband and the only option in my area is Virgin Media - which has been rubbish lately with about the worst customer support I've ever had.

CrimsonLiar

If you think Virgin Media is bad, then just wait until you've tried the Gigacube!  The Gigacube WILL be slower with very variable speeds, and thanks to its being on the mobile networks you don't get a real IP4 WAN address but one that's generated using CG-NAT.  If you have any desire to use your router for gaming, you don't want CG-NAT!