cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

VODAFONE Broadband drop out and no internet, can I replace with 3rd party router

BravoHKer
3: Seeker

Hello I need some help.

I have just moved to the new house in Bracknell (Postal code RG12) on April with the VF Broadband FTTP 900 setup by Openreach engineer.  Initially it works fine on the 1st week, and then it suddenly  drop out without any internet on one Saturday, I use the VODAFONE app to test and it mentioned  the ONT is working  but problem with the connection to the internet. The engineer was arranged on next Monday and he reset the ONT and the router, after about half hours it resumed and I assume it is fixed and fine.

However, after several days, the  same problem  occurred again and is more frequently till now.

I suspect  there is some issue  with the router but it do not have many settings  to adjust which is customize by VF

Actually I have another router (Netgear mesh router), can I replace it and not using VF own one as I don't  need to use the digital voice even they setup one for me. The problem when I setup the Netgear router is that it requires  the PPPOE information  which I do not have any idea to retrieve. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

The openreach approval thing harks back to the ADSL days, was kept for VDSL, but hasn't been updated. I guess the list is around 15 years old. You can't buy those router's today - well you can, but not new.

Ignore it. It's not valid today. 

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

Ripshod

PPPoE details can be obtained from a vodafone agent. The link at the bottom is for TOBI but bypasses the AI - only security questions to access your account. 

Even if they tell you to use a vlanid don't. It's not needed for openreach fttp.

Good luck

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd 

Thanks Brother, I have get the info but still no use, not sure if it is "not approved " router and cannot connect to the Openreach/BT network 

Ripshod

The openreach approval thing harks back to the ADSL days, was kept for VDSL, but hasn't been updated. I guess the list is around 15 years old. You can't buy those router's today - well you can, but not new.

Ignore it. It's not valid today. 

CrimsonLiar

There is no list of approved devices for FTTP as the connection is the ONT OpenReach have fitted on your wall.  So you can use any router that can use a 1Gbps+ capable ethernet cable.
*Winders if there is still a T-Base10 Linksys router in my parents garage (not in use)! 

BravoHKer

I have try to setup the Netgear Orbi ROUTER (Model: RBK352-100EUS), BUT it still shows not connect to the internet even I input the PPPOE DETAILS, this is why I reconnect the VF one back and it continues  disconnect  about 2-3 hours working normal (The internet light turn to Red).

I have already turn off the IpV6 as I see in this forum  it was the cause of the crash of the connection,  but no luck it is still disconnected intermittent 

BravoHKer

Finally  I figure out what is the issue and successful setup the 3rd party router, let it run for a while to see if it is fine. Thanks for all help in this  case.

BravoHKer

Screenshot_20240525_173921_Captive Portal Login.jpgScreenshot_20240525_174036_Captive Portal Login.jpg

BravoHKer

The case is not resolved, it seems to be the issue from the backend if the Vodafone server. It will disconnect the connection intermittent whatever I use the Vodafone wifi hub or my 3rd party router, the worst case is disconnect every 15 minutes, The ppp session is disconnect and no ipv4 address is available per screenshot taken from VF wifi hub above. I have log a fault report again. Is there any way I can log the offical compliant? Can i breach the contract without the early exit fee as no proper service is supply after it is normal service on the 1st week after installation on April. It is not acceptable as my sister is WFH, and it is disconnect when she is having a conference meeting with her boss and collegue for more than ten time!!

Cynric

@BravoHKer Please look in the router log to see if there are any errors that may help us understand your situation.