Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone gigafast unavailable, but available with BT

Roo
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm about to move house.

I've checked my new address on the BT website and they 0ffer up to 900Mbs.

EE can offer me up to 300Mbs.

Why can Vodafone only offer me up to 100Mbs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great to see you're so eager to stay with us @Roo 👍 If the properties a new build, or fibre's only just been installed in the area, we may not have an agreement in place to open it up to our customers just yet. I'm sure it'll be something we're working on. So we can take the property address securely and look into this for you, pop us a message through one of our social channels and we'll be able to offer an update on this.

View solution in original position

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Because fibre is not subject to the same local loop unbundling (LLU) agreements as the phone lines are.  There are voluntary agreements in place, but they are not so comprehensive.

So in layman's terms..

What does that mean to an end user like myself who has been with Vodafone for the last 4 years?

Choose BT for my new address, who can give me the gigafast speeds?

It seems to me that Vodafone are missing a trick here if that's the case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The LLU agreements give 3rd parties access to the OpenReach phone network infrastructure.  There is no "forced" equivalent when it comes to fibre/cable.  The result is that companies can come to agreements if they wish, but they don't have to!

OK,

So Vodafone can offer the new Gigabit service to my new address, but they've chosen not to at the moment.

I assume if there was enough interest then they would consider it?

How could I make Vodafone aware of my interest to take up the faster speeds with them?

Is it possible to move my broadband to the new address with Vodafone and ask to be put on to the faster speeds when they decide it's available?

Or should I just sign up with a competitor and asses the situation when my contract is up with them?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great to see you're so eager to stay with us @Roo 👍 If the properties a new build, or fibre's only just been installed in the area, we may not have an agreement in place to open it up to our customers just yet. I'm sure it'll be something we're working on. So we can take the property address securely and look into this for you, pop us a message through one of our social channels and we'll be able to offer an update on this.

Thank you Mark.

That reply makes sense.

I'll message on social media now.