Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

156 REPLIES 156

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @maughanorama 

I know the following thread is old now but Natasha's advice in it may help or point you in the right direction.

If not my apologies.

Vodafone-Router-WiFi-issues-Change-Settings. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Ahh yes thats for the old router.. I have the new bigger square router. On the wifi settings the channel select doesn't exist even when u split the wifi. It seems to have been omitted frpm tbe firmware

OK @maughanorama 

If a forum search or Google Search for related posts or any relevant instruction manual does not bear fruit then you could speak with the Vodafone Broadband Team via call 08080 034 515  (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs 

Or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries will be able to help.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

The inability to fix the channel is such a pain.  Mine is now hopping around the 2.4 GHz channels.  It has currently chosen channel 9 which is overlapping with the APs that are currently using channels 6 and 11.

It will be good if we can all put pressure on Vodafone Support to get this issue esalated. 

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@richardbradley We're always running updates to make things easier and simpler for our customers.

Our new routers are improved to help with the service and you can get any information needed when running speed tests through a wired connection.

You can also use our Vodafone Broadband app if you ever need to know your sync speeds. Our Broadband support guide and threads can also help should there be any updates to this in the future.

Hi @tash,

It's is good to hear that you're listening to our comments.  Looking at the forum, the topic of not being able to fix the WiFi channel has been going on for a while.  I am a fairly new Vodafone Broadband customer and I was surprised to find that the new router you shipped to me could not be fixed.  Anyone living with me would hear me mutter about neighbours' routers that kept channel hopping and sitting between channels 1 and 6 or 6 and 11 - and now it's my router doing it to them!

It also seems from the chat on the forum is that the ability to fix the channel is a feature that a firmware update removed.  I agree that it should be a feature reserved for advanced configuration - but to take the ability to control it away from advanced users does not seem like a forward step for a firmware update to take.

I look forward to seeing this ability restored to the browser interface in an imminent update.

Do you publish the schedule for firmware upgrades?  If so where can I go to see it?  Alternatvely, just give me an idea of when this feature will be made available.

Kind regards,

Richard.

PS. The router I used on a previous broadband supplier's connection provided WAN interface utilisation stats so there was no need to get every other device off the network before performing a wired speed test to check that the network was performing as expected.  Right now I have too many devices and family members relying on the broadband to perform a representative speed test during the day. T

PPS. I also find that https://labs2.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/ is far less CPU hungry that some other speed checking utilities.

https://labs2.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/ seems to be preferable 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @richardbradley 

To check if you are on the latest Firmware - head to the GUI and go to Expert Mode > Settings > Firmware Version.

To find the GUI page -Go on to your computer and enter the number 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser, this should take you to the log in page for the router and not a search result page.

And on the Broadband App - could you go to the Main Wi-Fi settings page, here you need to expand the “Advanced settings” then pop over a screenshot so we can check this out please? 😊

Hi Evie,

Attached is a screenshot of the router's firmware revision.  I am in Expert mode and still cannot see anywhere in the WiFi configuration to be able to specify the 2.4 GHz channel I wish it to use.

I am not using the Broadband App - I've not installed it as FlyingChips commented n the 7th that the app no longer appears to support the selection of WiFi channel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Richard.

I’ve attached a screenshot from the Vodafone Broadband app.