Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WIFI CHANNEL CHANGE

maughanorama
4: Newbie

hey all 

is there some magical invisible page on the new router that allows me to change the 2.4/5ghz channels ? the auto channel function just isnt working. 

and before anyone says look here and there and posts a link to the app. i have tried the app and im unable to even sync the app with my router.. 

is there a config editor that can open the backed up config so i can change it there and upload it back ? 

why has this function been removed from the firmware ? make 0 sense 

my internet is perfect until i try to use a 2.4ghz device then its hampered by my neighbors devices. theres a free channel i can see but unable to change to it

thanks 

154 REPLIES 154

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@maughanorama wrote:

The fact we still have had no confirmation what the forum mods was chatting about when they said call voda and someone can change it for us. Speaks volumes! Id rather mitigate the risk and remove the threat of a backdoor to my network.

I assume they are talking about TR-069 which most ISP supplied routers have so they can remotely configure them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-069

Jayach

I recently factory reset my THG3000, which brought back the WiFi channel change options.

It's been running for 3 days and they are still there.

If anyone else wants to try it I would suggest disconnecting the router from the line and factory resetting it via the firmware rather than with the button. (I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it seems to)

Check on the router to see if they have returned and then plug it back into the line.

I accept no responsibility if you break your router.

I'll update this post if they disappear again.

I promise I'm not lying and I'm talking about both the Vodafone app and Vodafone VOX3.0 router. I've included screenshots below of my routers WiFi settings page and Router Status page for comparison with your router.

How odd!

My Vox3.0v is also running firmware version:

19.2.0307-3261013-20200812152603-87d129527e2b6c5db641b036118778179b03c3da

It's been on this version for at least 41 days and there's no ability to set the channel.

I've just rebooted it and it still doesn't have the channel selection.

I've split the WiFi bands - still no difference.

Reboot - no difference.

Also, I don't have the following in the 5GHz section: Channel, Update channel, Periodic Autoscan, or Auto mode.

Merged them back together - still the same.

This seems even more concerning... that we appear to be running the same firmware - but with a different user interface. My wireless driver version is the same: 7.14.170.36 - even the Bootloader version is the same!

Do you have a mode other than Basic or Expert that I don't have?

@richardbradley

Have you tried a factory reset on your router since the firmware was updated. Press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds.

My THG3000 (Vox3.0v) is stubbornly stuck with

Firmware version 19.2.0203-3261005-20191217122049-2861ba0dea80e3c1bd5a2e7c5fb0527a1550a0a2

or I would try it myself.

Jayach

Interestingly, there is a Vodafone.ie user with the same firmware and they are unable to change the wifi channel either. What I wonder is different for @Flying-Chips?

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Gigabox-file-and-printer-sharing-problems/m-...

what's going on with this? like everyone(?) i can't change my channel. doesn't appear in the interface, doesn't appear in the app, tried split/merged, etc. of course my wifi is on the single most contested channels for both 5ghz and 2.5ghz, presumably because several on my street have Vodafone fibre also, and are defaulting to the same channels.

i'm going to attempt to log this with customer support at some point, but i can predict what a nightmare that will be.

THG3000, firmware 19.2.0307-3261013

I used to be able to change the channel in the app but even that has been removed. Im on the latest firmware and I have the scanner. It even that shows that the channel that router has decided to use is massively congested... complaint coming Vodafones way really soon.. I have no idea why you would remove the option to change the WIFI channel, how short minded!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guys @dankcushions @dan - I can appreciate this must be frustrating, not being able to change channels. We can look into getting this sorted for you with our tech team who have the systems to be able to change WiFi channels - we'd just need to you contact us on social media.

let me get this right, you want us to ask vodafone with cap in hand to remote access our routers to change the WIFI channel ?  i think thats a little excessive for something as simple as a channel change. 

personally i would rather know why this basic function has been removed from the interface and the mobile app. ? 

then i can use this as an excuse to change my router and send this unconfigurable one back to vodafone